The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Is XBEL an accepted standard?

I am working on a new book mark application and was wondering if "The XML Bookmark Exchange Language" (XBEL) is a universally accepted standard and should I follow that? Are there any other options?

Foe me its good to follow some existing standard instead of creating my own XML schema.

Thanks for your time.
A Gershan
Sunday, August 05, 2007

Depends on what you mean by "accepted".  There are certainly applications out there that use it, if that's what you mean.  It's even the native format for Konqueror, KDE's web browser.  However, it isn't used by IE, Firefox, Opera, or Safari.  I don't think any of them will even export to XBEL, so it's not as if everybody's using it.

If you just want an XML format that isn't tied to any particular browser, then I think XBEL is as good as any.  It's pretty easy to work with and should have enough flexibility for most applications.  If nothing else, it saves you the trouble of coming up with your own format.
Peter
Monday, August 06, 2007

>However, it isn't used by IE, Firefox, Opera, or Safari.

I don't think that's correct, at least for Firefox. XBEL is the only format that I'm aware of that is in any form of common use. My product Surfulater can Import XBEL files.
Neville Franks Send private email
Monday, August 06, 2007

> I don't think that's correct, at least for Firefox.

Are you sure about that?  The only bookmarks-related file I'm seeing in my Firefox profile is a crappy, old-fashioned bookmarks.html.  It's not even close to XML, let alone XBEL.
Peter
Tuesday, August 07, 2007

>Are you sure about that?  The only bookmarks-related file I'm seeing in my Firefox profile is a crappy, old-fashioned bookmarks.html.  It's not even close to XML, let alone XBEL.

Sorry, my mistake. It is the Netscape format Bookmark file which both IE and FF use.
Neville Franks Send private email
Tuesday, August 07, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics