The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

custom components for webapp dev

What is the equivalent of ASP.NET in the Linux world (PHP?) and how does one develop custom components for the web using this platform?
web_monkey
Tuesday, July 31, 2007

SEAM.
Anon Send private email
Tuesday, July 31, 2007

I don't believe there's one single answer, but since you mentioned PHP, you may want to consider modules and themes for open-source CMS's like Drupal and PostNuke.  I've also seem people make money on addons for CRM systems like SugarCRM.

Any further down into the stack (libraries, toolkits), and it's rare to see anything but open source except for really specialized applications.
D. Lambert Send private email
Tuesday, July 31, 2007

So all these people building web 2.0 applications are mostly using ASP.NET?
web_monkey
Tuesday, July 31, 2007

No, I think an awful lot of them aren't.  I believe what's relevant to the OP, though, is that they are using a sizable variety of tools, languages, and frameworks (PHP, Java, ROR, Perl, Python, etc., plus all the permutations and combinations with various AJAX and Flex libraries thrown in for good measure).

Of these variations, many don't have a well-formed market for selling software components because the niche is too small or the development culture is too vigorously open-source-based.

I had the sense that the OP was looking for a simple answer to "If not ASP.Net, then what?"  I'm just saying that I don't think there's a single, simple answer.  I'm sure there are markets to be found, but I think they're going to be a series of small markets rather than a single large equivalent to ASP.Net components.
D. Lambert Send private email
Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Never used it, but Java Wicket seems a worthy contender.
Other than that, how about ASP.NET on Mono?
Fritz Send private email
Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Is Mono really viable for commercial software?

Anyway, isn't JSP the closest non-windows platform to ASP.net? As I understand it, JSF adds the whole component paradigm to JSP - but I am just about to start learning JSF so please correct me if I'm wrong.
John
Wednesday, August 01, 2007

So it is wild wild west then unless you use ASP.NET which has a nice set of widgets similar to the desktop environment.
web_monkey
Thursday, August 02, 2007

Why does it have to be wild west if it's not ASP.NET?
John Topley Send private email
Thursday, August 02, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics