The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Practical examples on OOP

I am programming in .NET 2.0. Though .NET is fully OO still I want to learn OOP concepts to design my applications well. Where can I find good resource (practical) on this?
RK Send private email
Thursday, July 26, 2007

EdNoWeb
Thursday, July 26, 2007

Al Colburn Send private email
Thursday, July 26, 2007

Another book worth taking a look at is 'Head First design Patterns'. Although Java based it's applicable to all OO languages. I think someone has also re-done the source for .Net.

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/hfdesignpat/
I'll do it tomorrow... Send private email
Thursday, July 26, 2007

Head First design patterns is a really nice book on OOP.

The link for the C# version of source code done by the book can be found at http://www.wickedlysmart.com/HeadFirst/HeadFirstDesignPatterns/HeadFirstPatternsIndex.html
Graeme Bradbury Send private email
Friday, July 27, 2007

"design patter"

Best typo ever - I love the way it reveals the underlying connection between OOP and snake oil.  :)
Iago
Friday, July 27, 2007

Anybody have REAL LIFE EXAMPLES of all this great stuff? Certainly all these open source applications are using OO and patterns? It would be cool if someone taught patterns out of the tower and used actual USED software to illustrate the use of OO and patterns.
curdDeveloper
Saturday, July 28, 2007

I always recommend Robert Martin's Agile Software Development, subtitled Principles, Patterns, and Practices so he sometimes calls it the PPP book. He has a chapter each for many good design principles plus a few lengthy examples. I emphasize the principles over the patterns, because if you know what kind of thinking drove the pattern authors, you can apply them to problems that have no pattern solutions and indeed every line of code you write. Enjoy!
Stan James
Sunday, July 29, 2007

I don't think I understood OOP until I read Design Patterns. I knew the lingo and what it was all about, but didn't internalize it and really see the light until then.

I'm a big fan of Eric Evans' Domain Driven Design. It talks about a mentality for designing objects and some practical ways to do it. I wouldn't call it an OOP book, but would call it an object design book.

I've heard good things about the Head First Design Patterns book and about Applying UML and Patterns, but can't vouch for either.
Eric Marthinsen Send private email
Monday, July 30, 2007

You don't say which language you are using - for VB.Net i really like this book:
Professional Design Patterns in VB.Net: Building Adaptable Applications
A Wrox book - it's on Amazon.
Very clear, includes explanations of a selected set of the GOF patterns, with good examples, and a UML quick primer as an appendix.
For OO in general, try "The Book of VB.Net" by Matthew Macdonald. Includes very good chapters on OO principles and concepts.
John Bonavia Send private email
Friday, August 03, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics