The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Book recommendations (JSF, .NET)

Amazon's abyssmal search is driving me mad. I'm looking for great books on:
JSF
ASP.net (including web controls &  AJAX stuff)
.net 3.0 stuff like work flows
EJB 2.1/3.0
Flex
Silverlight

Preferaly books I can read to quickly understand the ideas while skimming code details as I'm working more as a designer. I have a tight budget so books covering multiple topics, even if in slightly less detail, are interesting to me - I don't need massive reference books.

Any recommendations? (ISBN would be useful).

Apologies for spamming the forum, I don't ahve a better place to ask...
John
Wednesday, July 25, 2007

For ASP.NET:

1. Ajax and the .NET 2.0 - (1-59059-670-6)
2. Beginning ASP.NET 2.0 in C# 2005 - (1-59059-572-6)
etc etc

For .NET 3.0

1. C# with .NET 3.0 - (1-59059-823-7)
2. Professional C# 2005 with .NET 3.0 - (1-047012-472-7)

And many books on WPF,WCF & WF

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

No reason to read on EJB2. If you're offered a job where its being used, find a different job.

On .Net and workflows: I very much liked "Essential Windows Workflow Foundations". Its more theory oriented than copy-and-paste code to do your job for you - which worked great for me since I'm not a C# developer and wanted to see what they've done.

When I looked into JSF, the top two (imo) were "JSF in Action" and "Core JSF". Both likely have second editions out by now. There's still a lot of debate on whether its worth moving towards, so unless its your day job I'd skip it. I've found idea books a heck of a lot more useful than framework books, especially if I don't know when I'll get to use that wiz-bang framework.
Benjamin Manes Send private email
Wednesday, July 25, 2007

The context for all this is contracting work - small discrete pieces of work in a specific technology, designing rather than coding. So I need to know a wide range of popular technologies, but not know the API in full or anything like that.
And nice as EJB3 is, it's unrealistic to think everyone has dropped earlier versions, just like it would be unrealistic to think everyone was on Java 5 by now...
John
Wednesday, July 25, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics