The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Slashdot social interface quirk

There is a pattern that seems to emerge pretty regularly in Slashdot comments. It is driven by the tree-structured threaded comments, and the desire of commenters to post something that will be read by many people. Here is what seems to happen:

1) A new article is posted.
2) There is a rush to post the first comments. So they are posted by people who didn't read the article, and typically contain funny remarks on the subject, based on the editorial only.
3) People who actually read the article and have something to say, also want their comment to be noticed. In order to have their thoughts displayed near the top of the page, they tend to post the serious thing that they have to say, in response to the first funny postings.

Does anyone else notice this? The effect is somewhat less relevant threading of comments. As moderation system hides some comments, reading Slashdot comments is like reading separate bits of info. What would you change to avoid these effects?
Nik Send private email
Monday, January 03, 2005

Save posts (without publishing them) for a period proportional to the length of the linked article, and then insert them in reverse order of submission (so early posts appear last).
Kalani Send private email
Monday, January 03, 2005

Modding up the post should also move it up the tree. Like a bureaucracy and septic tank, the big chunks will float up to the top.
Anony Coward
Monday, January 03, 2005

Yep, I tend to trail /. by a day or so, and have my moderation filter set fairly high in an attempt to weed out the crap.  Wish I could just filter out the comments marked 'funny', most of them aren't.
Snotnose
Tuesday, January 04, 2005

You can filter out the funnies. I believe you just need to go to Preferences, then Comments. There you can assign a modifier applied to "funny" posts to reduce their score.

I set mine to filter out everything funny which isn't score 5... and I also raise the score of longer posts, while penalizing tiny ones.
Tayssir John Gabbour Send private email
Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Instead of slogging through the posts, I've been using alterslash.org. Through some kind of magic they manage to filter Slashdot to only the most relevant topics or truly funny posts.
Nate Silva Send private email
Monday, January 10, 2005

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics