The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Unforgiveable stupidity in email filtering

On the off chance that someone on this board has ANY say in how email filtering is implemented, let me give you a few tips:

If my email is myname@ZZZ.com, then NO EMAIL that is received from domain ZZZ.com should be marked as spam.

If my email is myname@ZZZ.com and I send MYSELF an email, please NEVER mark it as spam. (Yes, this happens. I'm talking to you, yahoo.com)

If I mark one email from YYY.com as NOT spam, then please assume that other email from YYY.com is ALSO not spam.

Thanks.
mynameishere
Tuesday, July 10, 2007

You forgot one... If I mark an email from XXX@spamsite.com as spam then ALL email from spamsite.com is probably spam. I hate it when outlook gets fooled because the spammer simply uses a different account name from the same site to bypass the filter. I also have legitimate sites that constantly do this to get through.

It's ok if this is not automatic. But I should at least be able to mark a specific domain as being a spamming domain. This option does not exist in Outlook 2003.
dood mcdoogle
Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Simple solution, use gmail.
Patrick Reilly Send private email
Tuesday, July 10, 2007

I'm glad my bayesian spam filter isn't adulterated with these rules. I can spam with spoofed headers all the time.
28/w
Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Genius!

Unfortunately, spammers thwart your grand plan by randomized fake FROM: addresses. Darn.
ping?
Tuesday, July 10, 2007

ping: That's when the standard content filtering kicks in.

There is no reason to throw away domain filtering just because it doesn't work all the time. Like I said, I have legitimate sites that simply change the account and not the domain but I can't even filter out these without creating my own custom filter. All I can do is click "this sender is junk" when what I really want to do is say "this domain is junk". Sounds simple enough to me...
dood mcdoogle
Tuesday, July 10, 2007

These days the overnight harvest in Intellireach usually has a couple of emails with my own address forged on them.
George Jansen Send private email
Tuesday, July 10, 2007

I assume your first and last rules will have exceptions for hotmail, yahoo and gmail (etc.) or the spam filter will get horribly confused...
G Jones Send private email
Tuesday, July 10, 2007

I googled "outlook whitelist" and saw a few options that look like they might work for the third scenario. A blacklist would work for dood mcdoogle's problem.

Unfortunately, the first two filters are controlled by Yahoo! and are necessary due to the sheer amount of spam sent by Yahoo! Yes, I eventually abandoned my Yahoo! mailbox entirely because I was getting too much spam from other Yahoo! members. I didn't know gMail had the same problem.

If you're using your Yahoo! account as a way to send email to your Outlook box, I'd recommend some alternatives depending on your reasons why.
TheDavid
Tuesday, July 10, 2007

+1 to reply from "ping?"

Addresses is spam should be assumed to be forged.

I often get spam using my own address as the sender. That's a great idea isn't it. Because who would ever thrown away a message from themselves.
move on
Wednesday, July 11, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics