The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Good C/C++ (or other lang) refresher recommendation?

For the past 15 years, I have been a developer of microprocessor hardware.  The hardware entry is performed using RTL (verilog and VHDL) and/or schematic capture.  By and large, my programming has been limited to some primitve C, a good deal of Python, and a great deal of Perl.  Why so much Perl?  Because others can read it and own it ;).  What I have written is primarily design automation enhancers, etc.  I would love to freshen up my programming skills and would like recommendations for languages.  I abandoned python because no one else could figure it out -- seriously.  I have rewritten tons of python code in perl for that reason.

I guess my question is somewhat nebulous, but I am just putting out a feeler to see what others think.
HardwareGuy
Sunday, July 08, 2007

Odd that your rewriting Python in Perl to be more readable - but it's a strannge world!

C++ has changed a lot in the lats 15 years from C with classes to something approaching aprogramming langauge.
I would look at design patterns and STL as much as C++ itself - this might also apply to other langauges.
Martin Send private email
Monday, July 09, 2007

The C Programming Language.
Expert C Programming.
Introduction to Algorithms.
The Art of Computer Programming
Compilers: Principles, Techniques, and Tools
Aspiring College Developer
Monday, July 09, 2007

Sorry I don't design hardware, but since you know C, I guess the modern C++ would work well for you.

Of course there are hot things like .NET, C# etc., but you don't necessarily have to bother learning all new technologies Microsoft invents.

If you master C++, you'll be able to develop great software. There are MS Visual C++ and Borland C++ Builder out there which are both very powerful IDEs.

And C++ is good for low level programming too.
Antony Send private email
Monday, July 09, 2007

for C++ I would recommend "The C++ Programming Language" by Bjarne Stroustrup.  It goes over the language features.  It is neither a tutorial or a reference but it feels like both.
Tom C
Monday, July 09, 2007

hrm my post was deleted even though it contained several C "refresher" book recommendations.

gj mods.
Monday, July 09, 2007

Ugh -- I have used K & R w/ moderate success over the years.  Can you recommend others in the C family?
HardwareGuy
Tuesday, July 10, 2007

K+R is probably still the best.
For C++, Stroustrup is good but possibly hard going if you don't know any object orientated programming.
There are quite a few good books once you know C++ to get better at it - "C++ Coding Standards; 101 Rules, Guidelines and Best Practices", "Thinking In C++", "Accelearated C++", "Exceptional C++".

For design patterns the original "Gang of four" book is a bit dry, the o Reilly head-first is interesting but slightly annoying if you over 19 and not a snowboarder, I don't know of a good introductory patterns book that is C++ (rather than  Java) orientated.
Martin Send private email
Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Since you already have K&R the best "second" book
on C is Expert C Programming by Peter van der Linden.
Trust me, you won't regret buying this book.
sdv
Tuesday, July 10, 2007

+1 to expert C programing, as I mentioned in my original response.
Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Reliable Data Structures in C, by Plum.

This is more about Reliable C, than Reliable Data Structures, but still explains all that cruft around C like why there's all those
#ifndef MYFILE_H
#define MYFILE_H
#endif
AllanL5
Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Thanks to all!
HardwareGuy
Tuesday, July 10, 2007

C++ Primer Plus

Thursday, July 12, 2007

HAI ALL,

THIS IS RAM I WANT TO DESIGN THE SOFTWARE IN
TURBO C, CAN YOU GIVE ME A WAY OF  DESIGNING WAY AND TIPS OF DESIGNING MODE.

PLEASE AND THE REPLAY........
RAMKUMAR.A Send private email
Friday, July 13, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics