The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Eclipse or NetBeans

Hi

At work it is looking like I will need to swat up on J2EE so we can do some integration work with our parent company, so I thought I would get a java environment going this weekend.

What do people think is the best ide to use. I was going to download Eclipse, but someone at work said NetBeans was also a good one too use. I'll probs try both, but what do all you java developersw use in the wild?

Steve
Steve
Friday, July 06, 2007

We use NetBeans. We like its Tomcat support much better. We didn't like the whole "plugin" architecture of Eclipse. Every time you turn around you have to download and install some third party plugin and there are often multiple options. We simply didn't want the hassle and wanted a consistent experience for all of our developers. NetBeans has definitely been nice in that regard.

HOWEVER, it is certainly true that Eclipse is much more popular than NetBeans. There are surely reasons for this. And you should expect that NetBeans will probably die a much quicker death in the long run.
disgruntled
Friday, July 06, 2007

I should also point out that we were converting from JBuilder. The change to NetBeans was very painless. There was zero learning curve. With Eclipse, we all got this sinking suspicion that we would constantly be tweaking/evaluating plugins and that configuration of the environment would take more time than we wanted to spend. For example, getting Tomcat to run in Eclipse required some third party plugin. There were multiple options and we spent considerable time reading up on each one and what the pro's/con's of using each one was. With NetBeans, we just ran a single installer and were programming in minutes.
disgruntled
Friday, July 06, 2007

I was just going to post an eclipse rant.

<rant>
If you want stuff like... say... I don't know... right-clicking to do SOMETHING ANYTHING EVEN JUST SHOWING AN HOURGLASS WHILE FIGURING OUT WHAT TO PUT IN THE CONTEXT MENU then eclipse might not be for you.

If you want to be able to copy a source template file by hitting Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V, F2 to rename a file eclipse might not be for you.  You'll get an error because copying a file is a 'background operation'.  If only someone could figure out how to copy a file quickly!

That default behaviour of not letting me do anything when a run a text search against the 20,000 files in my project is just great too.

Running a clean doesn't alway clean (like with .jsp files)...

etc...
</rant>

Don't know if NetBeans is any better.
Grant Send private email
Friday, July 06, 2007

Seconding the earlier comments re: Netbeans being more integrated and polished out of the "box".  You can kind of tell that NB is a product shipped by a focused team and Eclipse is more a framework where N many disparate groups can  mosh-pit together a various soup of products at various quality levels.  In other words, it may be *possible* that Eclipse could be configured to maximally support your set of requirements, but (IMHO) it is more *likely* that Netbeans will work for you by default.  My experiences are ones viewed through the lens of web/j(2)ee app dev, YMMV.  In general, NB seems to perform better and crash less than Eclipse (I've locked up Eclipse for minutes before by doing simple things like highlighting a stanza of code to cut and paste).

All that being said, Eclipse did just release the latest revision of their platform ("Europa"), and I haven't had the time to give it a fair shake. NB 6.0 is dropping soon too, so I guess it's just a good time to be looking at free IDEs. ;-)
son of anon
Friday, July 06, 2007

Those aren't the only two games in town. IntelliJ IDEA is a joy to use, you just have to figure out how much your time is worth:

http://www.jetbrains.com/idea/
Chris Winters Send private email
Friday, July 06, 2007

There is also Sun's Java Studio Enterprise, which is based on Netbeans.

I'm not positive, but I think you can use it for free, and only pay for support if desired.
*myName
Friday, July 06, 2007

At a Java One class I attended this Spring, one of the SUN presenters asked the audience of 100 how many used NetBeans? No one raised their hand. Eclipse is the standard. The dozen customer sites I've consulted at used Eclipse.
Pedro Estrada Send private email
Saturday, July 07, 2007

We pay for MyEclipse (http://www.myeclipseide.com).  It is so cheap it is nearly free, they bundle most of the plug-ins for you, test it, and provide support for it all.

No complaints.
OneMist8k
Monday, July 09, 2007

Netbeans is easier to use out of the box and is better for web development with both java and with ruby.

Eclipse is more popular and oriented towards SWT. SWT is a nice alternative to Swing.

If you want to try an easier eclipse you might want to try http://www.easyeclipse.org They have various ready to use Eclipse distros and plugins.

Good luck and have fun.
adolfojp Send private email
Monday, July 09, 2007

Our experience has been the same as some of the others out here. Eclipse is like Linux. There are way too many options and the fact that things like easyeclipse and myeclipse even exist should be telling you something. Netbeans was ready out of the box but is less flexible.

We used to use Netbeans but had to switch to Eclipse in order to support some IBM platforms that we were reselling. Eclipse is just fine once you decide what plugins are needed and get everything configured correctly. But I miss the days of just running a simple installer like Netbeans and Visual Studio.
I have to use Eclipse
Tuesday, July 10, 2007

At work we use Eclipse. We had someone set up a standard installation which is available to everyone on a central server by simply copying a directory. No installer needed. Eclipse makes Visual Studio seem like Notepad.

At home I also use Eclipse for fun development. I found it a no-brainer to set up, but then I didn't need that many plugins, I guess (although I have installed and uninstalled one for testing).
Dotimus Send private email
Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Eclipse also has some subproject can help u set plugin
e.g. WTP
Just extract. And it run.
Ryan X. Wong Send private email
Tuesday, July 31, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics