The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Help File Authoring

I am developing an API and need a tool to create the end-user documentation (with code highlighting etc.)

The documentation will be integrated into an existing CHM help file (which is currently a bunch of manually edited HTML files compiled using Microsoft's free help compiler).

I will also need to publish the help file to the web in a search engine friendly way (with meaningful page URLs etc.).

Probably I need an integrated help authoring tool. Can anyone recommend a good one? Thanks!
Antony Send private email
Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Help & Manual will do what you need. In fact, it will even import the existing help project so you can work with the current HTML files as well as creating new ones.

It produces output in .CHM, .HLP, HTML, and PDF formats, so it will do user documentation, developer documentation, and user manuals from one set of source.

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with them in any way. I'm just a very satisfied user for about three years now.
Ken White Send private email
Thursday, July 05, 2007

I went through a whole bunch of trials and settled on Help and Manual myself. It's also got a cool integrated screenshot editor that sold me on the deal.
Praveen Angyan Send private email
Thursday, July 05, 2007

Thanks a lot, I will try it out.
Antony Send private email
Friday, July 06, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics