The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Java on GoDaddy

Wondering if anyone has had problems deploying Java Websites on GoDaddy. JSF to be specific.
You see, I make a web application locally, and everything runs fine. Once I deploy it to GoDaddy, everything stops working. I call them, and they claim it's a problem with my code. They don't know *where* the problem is, but that's why everyone of my pages will display a 404.

It's irritating.

Wondering if anyone else has gone through my pains and could throw me a few tips.
Casey Kcins Send private email
Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Are you using VPS or a dedicated server? Are you using tomcat? etc.

You might want to try their support forums, if any.
mynameishere
Tuesday, July 03, 2007

I'm using Tomcat on their shared hosting plan.
I have tried their support documents, which are surprisingly useless...
Casey Kcins Send private email
Tuesday, July 03, 2007

The problem with running on a shared hosting plan is the server has to be bounced when you deploy a new app.  Until that happens, it won't find your page.  Bouncing the server means bouncing all apps that share it with you, so it is something they schedule. 

Are you deploying your application as a .war file?  I'm not sure with GoDaddy, but the service I use wants me to unpackage it myself, not deploy it as a .war.  When the server is bounced, everything is unwrapped and ready to go.  Easy for them, PITA for me.
OneMist8k
Monday, July 09, 2007

I was curious about Java offerings on GoDaddy, so I just went over to their FAQ site.  Here is what they say about bouncing their server:

"When deploying a .war file on a hosting account running Tomcat, the file will be exploded when the Tomcat service is restarted automatically at 1:00 a.m., Arizona time. It is not possible to manually restart the Tomcat service."

So, I'd say to try again after they've bounced the Tomcat service at 1:00 a.m.
OneMist8k
Monday, July 09, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics