The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Need a VCL Spreadsheet

Hi there,

I am looking for an Excel-like spreadsheet component to integrate into my C++ Builder apps. ExpressSpreadSheet looks good to me, but is there a cheaper solution?

Regards,
Joe
Average Joe
Monday, June 25, 2007

Joe ,

Spend the cash and get the whole dev express subscription. Its worth every penny.

I think TMS also do a sheet and I have seen a few freeware TstringGrid VCL tools.
What functionality are you looking for?
Chris goCRM Send private email
Monday, June 25, 2007

Chris,

The whole DevExpress subscription would be too excessive for me. I just need a control that would hold raw data (mostly real numbers, sometimes text), and I only need a basic set of features:

- Excel-like (ExpressSpreadSheet-like) look & feel
- data editing
- ability to select several cells
- cut/copy/paste (must support a range of cells)
- insert row/delete row
- undo/redo
- select all
- custom popup menus

Also I need the ability to open/save XLS files.. well I can implement it separately I think.

I don't need:

- complex text formatting (just the same font face for all cells, text aligned to the left in each cell)
- owner drawn cells
- different fonts or b/g colors for different cells
- support for Excel formulas

So this is more of a grid than a spreadsheet, but it has to look like ExpressSpreadSheet.

TMS looks interesting, I will give it a try, thanks!

Any more ideas?
Average Joe
Monday, June 25, 2007

Average Joe,

XLSReadWrite (http://www.axolot.com is a 100% Delphi-code VCL component for natively reading and writing Excel spreadsheets. It's currently on version 3; I've been a very satisfied customer since the initial release.

Being 100% Delphi code, it compiles and installs easily into C++ Builder. It supports charts and graphs, cell formatting, data formatting, formulas, and most of the other bells and whistles you'd need.

Not affiliated in any way; as I mentioned above, I'm just a very happy customer.
Ken White Send private email
Monday, June 25, 2007

Don't assume "100% Delphi code" works with C++ Builder. Several Delphi component suites do not work with C++ Builder at all. Add-in-Express is one example. IIRC, Rave Reports never worked with C++ Builder either. It may today.
Anon
Monday, June 25, 2007

Ken,

XLSReadWrite looks very impressive. Although its price is the same as ExpressSpreadSheet, it seems to be even more feature rich. How I wish they offered a stripped down version of their product...
Average Joe
Monday, June 25, 2007

Hmm, XLSReadWrite is not a visual component. I need a visual grid.
Average Joe
Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Time to start the old .NET versus... arguments once more :-)
230 Volts
Tuesday, June 26, 2007

You will have to do a little work but this should fit the bill.

Its a freeware Tstringgrid.

http://www.torry.net/vcl/grids/powergrids/jvstringgrid.zip
Chris goCRM Send private email
Tuesday, June 26, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics