The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Converting XML Schemas to relational formats

I'm pulling my hair out trying to find a tool to convert an XML schema into a useful relational structure. Oracle's never works on anything real, Stylus Studio gave me a Java exception when I tried to do that, and XML Spy created absolutely useless DDL.

Going through the schema complex type by complex type seems nightmarish to me. It's a very hierarchical structure that doesn't translate easily into relations.

Tell me, who thought it was a good idea to bring back hierarchical data structures?
Steve Hirsch Send private email
Friday, June 22, 2007

Hibernate claims to be able to handle XML schemas. I haven't tried it but it may be worth looking into.
Just A Guy Send private email
Friday, June 22, 2007

What exactly is it about this schema that is so hard to represent relationally, and why was it put there in the first place?
Robert Rossney Send private email
Saturday, June 23, 2007

It is the UDDI schema. What is hard is when the schemas create entities that are nested very deep. That is hard to convert to the flat relational structures.
Steve Hirsch Send private email
Tuesday, June 26, 2007

"What is hard is when the schemas create entities that are nested very deep."

Yes.  The "Russian Doll" schemas within schemas are maddening in many ways.
OneMist8k
Tuesday, June 26, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics