The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

What is a Monk Test?

Hi,

A colleague has just used the term "Monk Test" to describe a mock deployment of our code. I asked him for a definition, but it wasn't convincing. It was that such a test is carried out in silence. I've tried google but it doesn't reveal anything besides links to fantasy gaming websites.

Has anyone else heard this term and can anyone offer a/their definition?

Thanks,
Tom
TomD Send private email
Monday, June 18, 2007

It must be 'Mock Test'.
This involves testing your application without requiring real resources.
For example : you may not have access to the production system. Could be a db server or a web service or any resource that requires humongous amount of code to setup and tear down for your unit tests. The easy way out - you create entities that mock these expensive resources and exhibit similar behavior. In short, mock testing is used to ensure that you code unit tests to test your own code, than test the the expensive objects that you mock. Apart from this, they keep your unit tests quite zippy. You, no longer have to wait an hour for the regression suite's reports.
VR Send private email
Monday, June 18, 2007

It's the percentage of users who decide to become monks and live on a mountain somewhere rather than ever face your software again.
It approaches 100% for some electronic simulation software I have used.
Martin Send private email
Monday, June 18, 2007

I don't know but it might be habit-forming...
Johnny Moondog
Monday, June 18, 2007

Excellent - I suppose it was asking for those kind of replies. I tried to think of some jokes, but none were forthcoming.

I also thought about mock as a possible typo, but c and n are not that close on the keyboard.

Someone in the office just suggested that it might be something to do with it being done without communication. i.e. one team passes code to another but offers no help. If help is needed then the test fails.
TomD Send private email
Monday, June 18, 2007

Perhaps he pronounces the word "Mock" as "Monk", not really knowing what the word "Mock" means, never having read Lewis Caroll.

My brother, for instance, pronounces the word "Cliff" as "clifft" -- probably always will.
AllanL5
Monday, June 18, 2007

Zach M. Send private email
Monday, June 18, 2007

"...one team passes code to another but offers no help. If help is needed then the test fails."

This is actually a valid testing strategy. I've heard it referred to as Black Box testing but that label is misleading as true Black Box testing doesn't really cover the engineer figuring out what to do with the box.

I can see this being useful when building an application that needs to deploy and auto-configure itself correctly, regardless of where the user puts it. The cliche example is the website - the first thing the user sees is a basic "where is..." type of question, and the site discovers/configures itself accordingly.
TheDavid
Monday, June 18, 2007

No, no.  He meant "Mach Test". 

Is the code as performant as the speed of sound?
OneMist8k
Monday, June 18, 2007

Duh. It's "Monk-ey Test" - Does it work as if a thousand monkeys with typewriters wrote it?
Keep 'em comin'
Monday, June 18, 2007

Smock Test:  Testing software while wearing 1960's white lab coats (smocks) and holding clipboards.
OneMist8k
Tuesday, June 19, 2007

They hired Tony Shalhoub as a bug detective?
Steve Moyer Send private email
Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Yeah -- must be some test performed by a short OCD afflicted detective with brillo pad hair :)
jonathan Send private email
Thursday, June 21, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics