The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

QBE Grid for SQL server

Anyone know of a good Access-like designer and QBE grid for Sequel Server?

I like to write it all out and double check it before actually creating the database, tables, and sprocs. So my preference would be a visual designer that lets you generate the script instead of creating them on the spot.
Yet another anon
Wednesday, December 29, 2004

Can't you do this in Access with an ADP?

I don't have SQL Server on my machine to I can't double-check whether it shows you the grid or not.
Kyralessa Send private email

I don't have Access.  I haven't used it since Access 97, but from what I recall there were subtle differences in the SQL syntax generated by the Access QBE.  I know that the wildcard characters were different, for example.

I should have made the title Viusla Designer for SQL Server instead.  QBE grid is misleading and only half of what I'm after.
Yet another anon

Make that "Visual Designer for SQL Server"  I'm having one of my dyslexic typing days.
Yet another anon

The latest versions of Access can be restricted to only allow SQL that's compliant with SQL Server.  FWIW.

Really? Which versions? Does that have to be against SQL Server tables, or can it set like that against JET tables?
Access cretin

It looks as though that option came about in Access 2002 (XP); it's under Tools > Options > Tables/Queries.  It appears that you can set that option even for Jet (Access) databases.  I've never tried it.  Presumably you have to set it yourself if you link to a SQL Server database, while if you do an ADP, which has a SQL Server backend more closely integrated than just linking tables, you don't even get the option since it obviously can't be turned off.

Also, in ADP projects Access 2002 has a grid-type interface for queries that's better than the typical Access grid interface (it looks similar to the query designer in Visual Studio), so you might want to give it a look, Yet another anon, if you should at some point gain access to a PC with Access 2002 or later.

Doesn't creating a new view in Enterprise Manager do what you want?
SQL Server guy
Thursday, December 30, 2004

>> Doesn't creating a new view in Enterprise Manager do what you want?

Cool. I didn't think of that. I rarely create views (but probably should more often).
Yet another anon

Er, Access Queries == SQL Server Views. Pretty much.
Mike MacSween

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics