The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

EDI X.12 to XML in Java

I was looking for some existing Java classes to take a standard X12 EDI transaction and create XML documents.  Because X.12 is a standard, it would seem to me this should be available as an open source project someplace but I just don't see it.

Does anyone know of such a thing?  Maybe I'm searching altogether wrong.  I can see propietary solutions to do this, but nothing freely available.

If it doesn't exist, I'll write it myself but I'd rather leverage an existing work.

Thanx
OneMist8k
Wednesday, June 06, 2007

If you write it yourself, will you opensource it and give the source free to me?
Donald Duck
Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Not GPL though, otherwise I can't leverage it. Something BSD like.
Donald Duck
Wednesday, June 06, 2007

I have no experience with contributing to open source projects.  I'm not opposed to the idea, but I have no idea what is involved.

If it were to happen, it would only be with the few transaction sets on my project.
OneMist8k
Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Hey, I was just kidding you.  I don't use Java.  I wondered if you would opensource what you code so that others can leverage it.
Donald Duck
Wednesday, June 06, 2007

have you tried EDI4J
bumperbox
Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Thanks, bumper.  I just downloaded it and will be giving it a going over in the next few weeks. 

It is version 1.0, posted in 2004 with 3 issues posted against it and all open.  In other words, it doesn't look very active, but hey, it's free!
OneMist8k
Thursday, June 07, 2007

"I have no experience with contributing to open source projects. I'm not opposed to the idea, but I have no idea what is involved.

If it were to happen, it would only be with the few transaction sets on my project."

From this I assume your project to be proprietary, so you can't leverage EDI4J without making your entire software GPL as EDI4J is GPL.  So it's not 'Free' for you.
Donald Duck
Friday, June 08, 2007

"From this I assume your project to be proprietary..."

Why would you assume that?
OneMist8k
Friday, June 08, 2007

Because you said you have no experience with contributing to open source.  If your software is not proprietary and you have no experience contributing to open source, the only alternative I can think of is that you are working for a large corporation on an internal project, which will not trigger the GPL as your software will not be distributed.  If you distribute a software based on another GPL software you must distribute the souce of that software too...

By the how is your nickname pronounced? One mistake? or One mistake with a mistake?
Donald Duck
Saturday, June 09, 2007

Donald, I would indeed be using it for an internal project.  It is not going to be sold or redistributed as part of another project.
OneMist8k
Monday, June 11, 2007

Try American Coders http://www.americancoders.com/
We are using it for X12N HIPPA stuff.  Works well and has a low pricepoint.

Stacy
Stacy Decker Send private email
Wednesday, June 13, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics