The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Writing a Scheduling task

I have a requirement to build an automated scheduling and delivering process using MS technologies with the requirements below.

Automated process to

1)Execute a query/stored procedure
2)Build a report from results of query
3)Automatically send the report via email using exchange
4)Scheduling repeats on a daily basis.

I have built an application like this using J2EE, however on this application I will be using MS technologies.  I will be using SQL server as my database and Exchange as my email platform.  Here are some areas that I am unclear about with the MS technologies:

·Does SQL Server have some type of scheduling/automation capabilities to execute the query and generate the report?

·Once the report is ready is there a way for Outlook/exchange to automatically send the report to a user from the database?

Since I am using MS technologies for this I am wondering if there is a sophisticated macro I could write or if I would need to write some kind of VB scheduling component to do the tasks described.
Random Developer Send private email
Tuesday, December 28, 2004

You can do exactly this with a product such as NetIQ AppManager today.  Have you considered going that route instead of building from scratch?

Look into SQL Server DTS.  I'm pretty sure you can do all the things you mentioned with it (and then some).
smallbiz

I think what you need is the SQL Server Agent Service to handle the scheduling of tasks within SQL Server. Look for it in SQL Server Books Online.
Mike Green Send private email

For a simple solution you can create a windows .exe that runs the query via ADO.NET / ADO and set up the windows scheduler program to run the .exe whenever you wish...
Genx'er

Chris Altmann Send private email

We use DTS to do all these things.
Peter

Yes, this is is definitely exactly what SQL Server Reporting Services is designed to do. It's free/part of the SQL Server licence.
Duncan Smart

Aa ex-colleague of mine sells a tool to do all this: http://www.celebrus.com/dbrecon/dbrecon_overview.html
theWeasel Send private email
Wednesday, December 29, 2004

Thanks for the replies to this topic,  the repiles have been very helpful in solving this problem.  I have played around with DTS before and will start some prototyping usint it.  If that dosent work I will look at some of the other solutions provided.
Random Developer Send private email
Wednesday, December 29, 2004

The Reporting Service requires IIS to be running, ugh.  DTS doesn't and is suited to doing batch type processes.
Simon Lucy Send private email
Tuesday, January 04, 2005

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics