The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Hot and Normal application icon states?

Am wondering what your take is on rigging up icons in a desktop application to recognise hot states.

Icon vendors tend to sell sets made of hot, normal and disabled. Using .Net I have no use for disabled icons because by disabling the button your icon takes on the greyed out look.

I am wondering however about the hot state - when the users mouse goes over the icon. Do you wire your tool bar buttons recognise this hot state?
iconoclast
Monday, May 28, 2007

I do use the hot state in apps, it is almost expected in Windows apps, and it gives the user a slight "gratification" when the application reacts as they expect it to (or as they have come to expect). I imagine an "annoyance meter" that goes up as the user waits for this, waits for that, can't find this, etc... and I believe little things like that move the annoyance meter down, albeit in very small increments. Of course, as a developer, I get pissed when I am using a software that has sweet icons but is functioning like crap - makes me wish they spent more time use testing and less time screwing around with icons :)

On disabled icons - often a nicely designed normal state icon doesn't look that great when disabled - some lines are missing that make it less obvious what the icon would look like when enabled. If I find a good icon with this problem, I break out the good 'ol image editor and draw some dark grey lines!
I still code in Delphi
Tuesday, May 29, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics