The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Analysis Services to analyze keywords

I'm tasked with developing a reporting system (in AS2005) that will allow us to report on the performance of keywords in our pay-per-click campaigns.  The thought is to record the search string the user typed into google by parsing it from the referring url.  We can associate the search string with one or more possible actions on the site (clickthrough, download, purchase) Then we can parse the search string for each word and give each word credit for each action.  So basically you would create a dimension from the "dictionary" of all the different words.  You could roll up the actions for each word  and report on how many times a word was used in searches and how many click/downloads/purchases were related to that word? Does this sound reasonable?
AnonForNow
Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Well this sounds to me like a data warehousing problem, so my best advice is, in case you haven't done yet, follow the "standard" data warehouse practices. Data warehousing is now mature enought to consider that there are well known and generally accepted practices.

I'm personaly not an expert in the subject, so the best I can do is recommend you an excelent book: The Data Warehouse Toolkit 2dn Edition, by Ralph Kimball and Margy Ross.
Pablo Chacin Send private email
Thursday, May 24, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics