The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Need Info on Word / Word Perfect to HTML

I am looking for a either a command line utility or dll to convert a word or word perfect documents into html. I would like to use this in php. i looked at wvware and i am not sure if its the best solution available plus you cannot convert word perfect documents.

If any one of you have any prior knowledge doing something similar please enlighten me and the rest of the crowd eagerly waiting to update their knowledge base.
san van man Send private email
Friday, May 18, 2007

The best utility for Word-to-HTML I have found is at maluke.com (shareware, $47).  Download the demo to check it out (works just like the registered version, but only for a few hundred characters). This app yields very clean HTML.

If you also need Word Perfect conversion, your best bet is the word processor in Open Office. Unfortunately the HTML is more verbose due to the CSS code needed to make the conversion work.
RetiredWizard
Saturday, May 19, 2007

Word itself will save a document as HTML. Pretty HTML, likely not, but HTML. So before I searched around a lot, I'd code something up in VBScript or Python to make Word do the work for me, then see what remedial steps seemed useful.

It has been years since I've used WordPerfect, but I believe that it too will save as HTML, and can be similarly automated.
George Jansen Send private email
Sunday, May 20, 2007

Word will open Word Perfect documents, so you can use it to convert to HTML as well.
Coopsnakes Send private email
Monday, May 21, 2007

i am not looking for a manual method. i am looking for a automated solution which will work on a server without word or word perfect installed. From my research wvware can do the word to html conversion.
san van man Send private email
Tuesday, May 22, 2007

If you need something outside the GPL license then I think this is the technology which Google use:

http://www.stellent.com/en/products/outside_in/html_export/index.htm
Coopsnakes Send private email
Tuesday, May 22, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics