The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

NAnt with MSBuild, or just MSBuild

Hello-

Those of you building .NET 2.0 applications, do you tend to go with a pure MSBuild build file, or an NAnt build file that uses the MSBuild task to take care of the compilation?

I'm debating which way to go. On one hand, I like the idea of VS.NET and CC.NET using the same build file (although I guess that's techncially true of either approach) and some of the new features in the Orcas version of MSBuild sound very cool. On the other hand, NAnt has a lot more documentation and is a more mature tool. I'm on the fence with this one. Any suggestions?

-Eric
Eric Marthinsen Send private email
Tuesday, May 08, 2007

We are using MSBuild for our builds, for the following reasons:
- can use the same build file for building via the commandline and from within the IDE (VS 2005)
- we use Team Foundation Build Services for our automated builds (which are MSBuild files also)

Functionally wise, ant/nant/msbuild is the same.
I was a bit frustrated at first (having come from using ant) to having to learn another slightly different syntax for msbuild, but if you know ant, you'll pick up the differences quickly.

MSBuild is quite easy to extend as well, we've got a few custom actions, but there are some nice community provided ones too.

I guess all I am saying, for our case it made sense to use MSBuild.
James.
Wednesday, May 09, 2007

I'm using (just) MSBuild, since I was starting from scratch.  If I'd had a stable of Nant builds already, I'd have probably stayed with that.
Mike S Send private email
Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Actually we use Nant.
We use Nant is because it's more flexible than MSBuild, we can do more things but not limit in compile.
Hector Send private email
Thursday, May 10, 2007

We have recently migrated to MsBuild all our original NAnt scripts (see http://blog.vermorel.com/?p=61 ). Our reason was: since you can't avoid MsBuild, because it's part of the framework and Visual Studio, no need to add another dependency in the build process.

In practice, since the release of the Community Tasks for MsBuild, both tools deliver almost identical features.

Best regards,
Joannès
http://www.lokad.com
Joannes Vermorel Send private email
Sunday, May 13, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics