The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

VB.NET Web App. vs. ASP.NET Web App.

I previously developed a ticketing system for a government department using VB.NET 2003 and MS Access XP. At that time, the department desired a solution where this desktop application was installed at each tourist place gate and each gate had its own MS Access database. Because the places were remote and there was no facility of internet connection, hence we did like that.

Now the department is desiring a core booking system with centralized database of all the places in the state. We are planning VSAT connectivity for places with no internet connection. I want to upgrade my previous application to an internet application. I am puzzled on whether to modify existing VB.NET app. to retrieve data from Internet or to write entirely a new application using ASP.NET. Our MS SQL Server database is located on a remote server where we have taken web space.

What are the pros and cons of a VB.NET Internet Application and an ASP.NET internet application.
RPK Send private email
Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Both will get the job done.

The real reason to transition to the ASP.Net version would be to reduce deployment issues.  By having all your code centralized there is nothing to install on the remote computers.  In fact, they can be stripped down to the bare bones since the application runs on a server.

If this isn't enough value, then just upsize your Access database to SQL, change your connection string, and modify your code to understand concurrency.
Jeremy Send private email
Wednesday, May 09, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics