The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Classic ASP Upload

I have a need to upload large-ish files (up to 30MB) to a Win2K3/IIS6 server using classic ASP. I'm a novice to uploading, so do you have any suggestions for existing scripts? I found a few via Google, but they bork on files larger than 7-8MB.

If you suggest I write my own, are there any "gotchas" I need to look out for?

Thanks!
Bill Foecke Send private email
Friday, May 04, 2007

You should probably check out the documentation for ASP. PHP I know has a couple of settings you need to tweak, one for the maximum size of an uploaded file, one for the maximum size of a POST request. I would suspect that the IIS/ASP combo has such settings.
George Jansen Send private email
Friday, May 04, 2007

It's been a while, but from what I remember, there are many free scripts that do file upload using pure ASP - you can also purchase components as well.  As I recall they were all doing roughly the same thing - parsing the incoming header, getting the data bits and writing them to disk/db (although I'm sure the quality of code varies). 

Anyhow, the key was tweaking the Server.Timeout property, which I believe was done via script, to increase it to a time sufficient enough to allow for the upload to occur.  You may also be able to adjust a setting within IIS itself to ensure the page doesn't timeout. 

Good luck.
Carmen Ferrara Send private email
Friday, May 04, 2007

Look for ASPMaxRequestEntityAllowed in the metabase for IIS.  If you don't increase that and the timeouts, it won't work.
Michael H. Pryor Send private email
Sunday, May 06, 2007

For what it's worth, I've used a component called ASPUploader and found it to work well.  It's commercial, but it's only $50 and if you're really tight on cash you can use the fully-functional trial version indefinitely (thought it will nag once in a while).

And since it's about the only thing that can go wrong, I'll remind you to set Server.ScriptTimeout to something big before you invoke the Upload method.

http://www.igra.ws/Product/ASP/Reuse/Uploader/Default.htm
Michael Chansky
Monday, May 07, 2007

At my current job I'm a Classic ASP/VBScript/SQL Server developer.  We currently use an old version of SA FileUp from  software artisans: http://fileup.softartisans.com/ .  Pricing varies...  but current versions look expensive ($400+).  This is a component that must be installed/registered on the webserver.

I think we're still on version 3.51 and haven't upgraded because it works fine for our uses, which includes the occasional 100MB+ file upload.

I played around with some of the free VBScripts out there and they were much slower, if they worked at all.
chloraphil Send private email
Tuesday, May 08, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics