The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Installshield Scripting

Hi,

I am trying to teach myself Installshield and in particular, Installshields scripting projects. I'm having difficulties understanding concepts/methodology and I find their Forums do not indicate a very active or helpfull bunch of subscribers.

All I really need is for someone with the appropriate experience to scan a script file and point out my flaws in the appropriate logic and construct. I'm sure I could then manage to develop my skills largely by myself.

Can someone spend a few minutes and help me OR ideally point me somewhere on the web that has a tutorial available or some real-world complete scripts to learn from.

Thanks.
Glen Harvy Send private email
Tuesday, May 01, 2007

I'm also a self-taught InstallShield scripter.  Have to make the case this summer that it's time to completely rewite our dragged-forward-from-IS6 installer scripts.

I've found this site to be helpful:  http://www.installsite.org

Also for concepts etc the help docs from NSIS have been useful:
http://nsis.sourceforge.net/Support

You can email me scripts & problem descriptions & I'll help where I can.
a former big-fiver Send private email
Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Welcome to Installshield hell.

I'm stuck using it for the current project, but will be using WiX for all new work.
xampl Send private email
Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Our experiences with InstallShield are exactly the reason we now use InstallMaker.

Every company I've encountered that uses InstallShield seems to regret it...

We chose productivity over pain instead. :)
Anna-Jayne Metcalfe Send private email
Friday, May 04, 2007

I dont usually criticise other peoples choice of framework, IDE and/or operating system...ultimately one usually works as well as another so who cares.  but.  Installshield is the single most painful way to create an installer known to man.

if you get given the choice, kill yourself first.

if not the most efficient way Ive found to get actual help is to email the support staff directly, IME if you find a good one they will go a LONG way out of your way to help you.

if you _do_ find a good one, dont lose their email address.  this is important.

if all else fails, fling yourself off a ladder and break something important .
workingHard
Friday, May 04, 2007

I can't believe this program costs so much.

I have learnt so much about installation (which I didn't want to know) that I think I could almost write my own installer in C# and do as good a job.

Thanks for all your feedback - being a lone developer out in the sticks I sometimes get the feeling "It must be Me!" Nothing could be made as difficult as this on purpose :-)

Cheers.
Glen Harvy Send private email
Wednesday, May 09, 2007

> I think I could almost write my own installer

Why don't you give Inno Setup a go:

http://www.jrsoftware.org/isinfo.php

It works for great for me ;)
Jussi Jumppanen
Monday, May 21, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics