The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Really need Confirm Password and Confirm Email?

I know they're absolutely standard as part of a sign-up sequence for any website or online service.

But they're an extra step, and a bit of a pain, and slightly insulting to most users (what, you think I'm such an idiot I can't type my email in properly), and potentially confusing to absolutely new users.

So: anybody ever try a sign-up without either of these, and seen significant numbers of
a) bouncing email addresses (because the user typed it wrong by accident_
b) 'forgotten' passwords (because the user typed something different than he thought)
Andrew McG Send private email
Sunday, April 29, 2007

Confirmation is required to ensure that I don't maliciously sign up someone else.
Spider Send private email
Monday, April 30, 2007

I understand as a user when I am asked to confirm my password If the text field is masked out (you don't see what you type), and if you type different passwords by mistake, the form will  tell you.

On the other hand, I feel that is somewhat stupid to ask for the email twice, because the user *can see* what he typed!

Why don't ask for the users first and last name twice also, in case he gets them wrong the first time? /sarcasm
sergio
Monday, April 30, 2007

@Spider:

> Confirmation is required to ensure that I don't maliciously sign up someone else.

The OP wasn't talking about sending email to confirm that the address belongs to the person who registered, but about asking the user to type the email address twice on the same form before submiting.
sergio
Monday, April 30, 2007

Asking for the email address twice always struck me as overkill - and annoying overkill at that. I tend to copy and paste, so if it's wrong in box 1 it'll be wrong in box 2 as well.

Passwords though - you've got to check it twice.
Bill Send private email
Monday, April 30, 2007

+1 Sergio

2x for the password = GOOD!

2x for the email = HASSLE!
Eric D. Burdo Send private email
Monday, April 30, 2007

The original idea was that your email address would become your unique identifier. In this context, asking for your email address twice, and using javascript to disable cutting and pasting, was seen as a great way to make sure you don't mistype your own requested username.

Putting aside the obvious javascript flaw, I suspect people thought that was a good idea without really understanding why it was a good idea, and copied the form over to their own websites.

In internal corporate networks where you can require javascript (and turn away people who've disabled it), this is actually a very robust and easy way for employees to sign up for services.

Larger companies are pretty good about ensuring each employee gets one unique email address because of the outside communication thing, but not so good at making usernames unique. For example...

john_smith@chicago.ibm.com verses john_smith@atlanta.ibm.com.
TheDavid
Monday, April 30, 2007

If it's something important, like the email address my registration code will be sent to, I like it.
Mark Jerde Send private email
Tuesday, May 01, 2007

My opinion, as a user not as a programmer: my e-mail address is very long (25 chars) and I find faster typing it twice than reading char by char to check if it's correct. The validation will tell me if I did any mistake.
Alessandro Ronchi Send private email
Wednesday, May 02, 2007

If you forget your password, you usually need your email address to retrieve it... hence, the confirmation of your password;)
Stephen
Thursday, May 03, 2007

my company has a bill pay site that doesn't send a confirmation email when you sign up.
Nearly every email we get for support boils down to the customer not typing their email address correctly when they signed up. Most other emails are from customers who thought it would magically know who they were without having to sign up, despite the huge graphic that says:

New to our site? Sign up Here -- link

If you can code in any computer language, you are approximately 100x better at using computers than the average user, and usually they are the ones we design for.

Now if we could just find the time to get that pesky signup page to send a confirmation email...
dan m Send private email
Thursday, May 03, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics