The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Codeignitor or CakePHP?

I am an MVC novice, looking to get started on the right foot.

CakePHP:
- I may, one day, want to develop apps for joomla, or drupal, Cake is about the only MVC which has special extensions for this.
- I believe that Cake has built-in user authentication, which could be useful for me.
- I have read that Cake’s documentation is lacking, and that Cake can be difficult for a newbie. Although, from what I have seen of the manual, it does not look so bad.

Codeignitor:
- Best tutorial screencasts I’ve seen.
- Great documentation.
- Possibly, the simplist PHP MVC to use.
- I am afraid that codeignitor may be limited. No template, no extensions for drupal or joomla, no support for php5, no user authentication.

Again, I have never used any MVC, so please correct me if I’m wrong about any of this.

I am thinking about starting with codeignitor, just to learn about using an MVC, then maybe moving on to Cake. Would that be wise? Or would I be better starting with CakePHP?
walterbyrd Send private email
Sunday, April 29, 2007

I've only toyed around with CI and CPHP.  I really like QCodo -- you might want to check it out.
Boofus McGoofus Send private email
Sunday, April 29, 2007

QCodo is from Mike Ho - a good guy, had dinner with him last week - and it takes a slightly different look at the ORM aspects.  Here's an interview I did with him a long while back:  http://codesnipers.com/?q=interview-mike-ho-qcodo
KC Send private email
Monday, April 30, 2007

We've played around with Cake. The lack of docs was pretty frustrating.

We'd moved from Mojavi to Cake, so it was a sure step up...Mojavi was fine for it's day but that day has passed.

Cake: It's got some nice AJAX features. The scaffolds are nice. And it all works really well when each action is directly related to a database table. You could do worse, but just be prepared for some trial and error dev...
Dave Send private email
Sunday, May 06, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics