The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

HTTP Request "queueing" issue with PHP/IIS

Hi folks,

I've got this weird issue with a PHP 5 app installed on an Win 2000/IIS 5 server: the execution time of the script augments linearly with the number of times a page is refreshed in short succession, i.e. load the page, 100ms - hit F5 once, 200ms, hit F5 twice, 300ms, etc...

Wha...??

It seems as if IIS refuses to process a request from the same client/session before the previous one is completed, and funnels these request in a single file...

I've never had this problem before, and the same application works fine on our dev environment; it's the live environment that has issues. Furthermore, there is an ASP 3.0 app which uses the same database on the same server, and that one causes no problem whatsoever. Which is what makes me think it's a wierd interaction between PHP and IIS, some mis-configuration maybe.

Any thoughts?
Don't fix what ain't broke.
Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Are you using PHP sessions?
Almost H. Anonymous Send private email

Yes.

For each session, the session file is locked for the duration of the request.  So requests involving the same session won't run in parallel.  This might be what you are seeing.  In practice, it's not much of an issue.
Almost H. Anonymous Send private email

Ah ha... Makes sense, thanks.

A quick update: we disabled the php session, and the issue went away. Thanks again for the insight.
Monday, May 07, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics