The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Design info for manufacturing software?

Hello,

Do you know of a primer / info. for a manufacturing system?

The products are created from e.g. sand, gravel, cement.
processes are:
developing, ordering, inventory, sales, a/r

Do you know of a software/website/forum which I could make as a basis or to get more info? (e.g. downloadable evaluation software).

Thanks.
j2e
Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Are you looking to design a MRP system?
grover
Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Thanks.

I think yes.That term is what i'm looking for. MRP. Is is viable for an in-house project for small business? Is it a complicated software?
I have a background in retail. and back-office accounting. I'm quite new in this industry.
j2e
Wednesday, April 25, 2007

I think it can be quite complex.  Different Factories have different needs, so a lot of times they purchase a package that they can either add to themselves and/or purchase ongoing dev + support custom to their needs.  The data model you'll be working on can be very vast & complex.  These systems can run for 10+ years easily.  Its definitly something a small shop can handle, but i would think it can be quite difficult competing with the big mother companies (Oracle, SAP, etc) and making your first couple of sales.  There are several smaller software vendors that do make it though.  If I were to try to run a company doing MRP development, I would definitly need to make sure my devs and analysts had strong knowledge of the manufacturing domain.

Chances are you can flip though a code magazine and see ads in there for various companies who produce the stuff.

I'm not sure if you're going to find a demo version to download from any of them though.
grover
Thursday, April 26, 2007

If you google "manufacturing software" you'll find plenty of companies to look at, some of which have demos or free editions.
*myName
Thursday, April 26, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics