The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Firefox tab view

I found it annoying when Firefox starts scrolling tabs if I open too many of them, so I wrote this little extension. It disables scrolling, but as you move the mouse over a tab, it zooms in, fisheye-view style. I'd love to have some feedback on how to make it more usable.

http://www.lkozma.net/fisheyetabs
Laszlo Kozma Send private email
Saturday, April 21, 2007

Sorta related question:

Is it possible in FireFox or IE7 to have your tabs on the left or right side of the window rather than on top?

Screen real estate is much more plentiful in the "wide" direction than in the "up/down" direction.  I'm constantly wondering how I can increase the usable height of a window by eliminating or consolidating toolbars etc.  Screen real-estate to the left and right is under-utilized, IMHO, in today's wide-screen world.
Karl Perry Send private email
Monday, April 23, 2007

It already looks better than a couple of versions ago, which I had to disable because I was getting so many clicks wrong in the tab bar.
Matthew Wilson
Thursday, April 26, 2007

With version 0.14, and 7 tabs open on screen, if I move the mouse over the tabstrip to the left-hand side of the second tab on the right of the screen, then the right-most tab is much too narrow - not enough to display the favicon or even a character of the title.
Matthew Wilson
Thursday, April 26, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics