The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

user interface design for health management information system

Please help me how can I design the interface and which language is better PHP or Visual Basic?
Amir Kror shahidzay Send private email
Monday, April 16, 2007

As is the case with most technologies, neither PHP nor Visual Basic can be said to be "better" then the other in all cases, it really depends on the specific application. You really haven't provided enough details to answer that question intelligently. Some things to consider:

- It's hard to make a language choice without also considering the entire application stack. You also need to consider which web/application/database server(s) you will be supporting.

- What languages do you and/or team already have experience with? All other things being equal you may want to go with the language you are most comfortable with.

- How is this system going to be deployed? Is it this a in house corporate system, a hosted service, a shrink wrapped application? If it's an in house system for example, then there may already be a preferred language/application stack in place.

Dan
Dan Boris Send private email
Monday, April 16, 2007

I would also add "training issues" to your list of questions. Are you dealing with doctors and nurses who have very little time to learn how to use your system, or are you dealing with bureaucrats who have the time to go to classes and read manuals?
TheDavid
Monday, April 16, 2007

Don't forget to include whether or not the app will be used by "walk-by" users.  Not everyone sits at a desk all day -- some users walk around a lot, and will only interact with your app occasionally.

The impact of this is that you essentially need to design your app as if it were going to be used on a touch-screen.  You need bigger mouse-targets that the usual teensy weensy buttons, because their fine-motor control skills are a little whacked from walking up (gross-motor skills).
xampl Send private email
Monday, April 16, 2007

Actually, in the interests of reliability I'ld suggest you stick to proven technology with quality performance. Stick with x86 assembler and you can't go wrong.

Green-screens with plain text entry forms are traditional, as well. Take a paper form, stick it up on the screen, and that will guide where your edit fields should go.

Monday, April 23, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics