The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Quick MSFT programming question...

For the longest time I've been wanting to make a simple app that changes the desktop picture (seamlessly) in the background based upon the hour of day. Basically, I want to take 24 still photos of a nature scene through the day and have them rotate appropriately.

This is for personal use--so it doesn't need to be great.

Okay, so I'm strictly a java web programmer. What tool should I use for this with minimal time expenditure? I have VS C++ express on my computer. What API should I be looking at?
quick_question
Tuesday, April 10, 2007

SystemParametersInfo(...) with SPI_SETDESKWALLPAPER
anonymously annoyed
Tuesday, April 10, 2007

http://www.codeproject.com/dotnet/SettingWallpaperDotNet.asp

There's an example of how to do it in .Net.
Jason Moore Send private email
Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Thanks.
quick_question
Tuesday, April 10, 2007

If you're just doing it for the experience, carry on!  But if you really just want the end result, get WebShots.  You can put in your own photos and it works great.  (No affiliation by the way)
Doug
Tuesday, April 10, 2007

You could create a notification tray widget. I believe Java 6 has that out of the box. Excelsior JET includes Windows Service as one of the build options. Hopes this helps.
Li-fan Chen Send private email
Wednesday, April 11, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics