The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

php & jsp (wordpress)

Wordpress seems to have the same modules implemented both in JSP and PHP. What is the reason for this? In case the browser has javascript disabled?

Note: This question may seem to belong to wordpress support forum, but there are enough many experienced people here that one of you guys might already know the answer.  :)
wp
Monday, April 09, 2007

JSP is Java Server Pages which is nothing to do with JavaScript!
John Topley Send private email
Monday, April 09, 2007

+1 John

But yes, that could be a valid reason.  Alternatively, they were developed before Ajax became all the rage and now they're in such wide usage that letting them die would be suicide.
KC Send private email
Monday, April 09, 2007

I might have been wrong calling it JSP. When I was looking at their code, I just noticed that they had identical (or identical looking) javascript and PHP scripts.
wp
Monday, April 09, 2007

Java Server Pages - generally .jsp - are compiled and executed by a Web Application Container like Tomcat, WebSphere, Resin, etc.

Javascript files - generally .js or embedded - are executed client-side by the browser.

You can embed Javascript in html, php, jsp, etc, etc.
KC Send private email
Monday, April 09, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics