The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

decision of using drupal

I, with minimal evalutation, decided to use drupal to build my portal as it meets all the functional requirements as well as I know/can-learn PHP.

I was challenged by a few poeple, without any proper justification, that drupal/php is not a good choice.

Are there any strikingly important things to be aware of?
basic_thinker
Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Yesterday I came across this blog post which discusses some Drupal shortcomings:

http://20bits.com/2007/02/27/4-problems-with-drupal/

Aside from that, I don't have first-hand experience with it, sorry.

Check it out because it might make you decide either way.
Lostacular
Tuesday, April 03, 2007

"I was challenged by a few poeple, without any proper justification, that drupal/php is not a good choice."

Any particular reasons?

I've been using it on a few sites that are getting about 250k hits/day.  The database and built-in caching took a bit of tuning but the system has been performing very well over all. 

The single best thing that I like about Drupal is the fact that I can run *all* of my sites (10 + test/betas) from a single install.  The only difference between any of them is the config file pointing at different databases.

On the procedural front (from that post), yes, there are some things that need some cleanup.  Unfortunately, they still have to support PHP4.  Once they can completely drop php4, they can go full speed with PHP5 and quite a few things will get better/easier.

All of that being said, their module system is top-notch.  As a dotProject core contributor, I'm more than a little jealous of that aspect...
KC Send private email
Tuesday, April 03, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics