The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

How to share a desktop app server database with web app?

I have a desktop network application that uses the MSDE as its backend. There are 15,000 rows in various tables with about 10 users. I need to allow our customers to have access to this database thru the web. We are developing the web application that will access the SQL database and display results for the customer. The issue I need to resolve is where and how to host the SQL server that can be accessed from the web. Also, if I host it on a different server, how do I mirror/merge the data between the two servers. We were leaning towards hosting the web accessible SQL offsite with a hosting company to avoid the security hassle and overhead of hosting it internally. However, I have never had to keep another SQL server mirrored to our master server. What is the best way to do this? Should it be done programatically or using external tools? Thanks for the help...

Greyeye
Greyeye Send private email
Saturday, March 31, 2007

*myName
Sunday, April 01, 2007

I would consider using web services. Look at the calls you are making to the database. can you just wrap them in web services. Then host the database on a server and access it from the windows app or the web app.
Peter Marshall Send private email
Sunday, April 01, 2007

+ 1 for web services.

It is also a handy way of forcing you to separate at least some of your business logic from the user interface.
Robin Send private email
Monday, April 02, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics