The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

10$ Hosting plan capacity

I was wondering how many hits per day/month a 10$ plan can handle.

Any experiences ?

Thanks
Zino Send private email
Thursday, March 29, 2007

How many roads must a man walk on before they will call him a man?

You need to know:
a)  How much "stuff" needs to happen with each hit; and
b)  How much "stuff" your plan can handle.
KC Send private email
Thursday, March 29, 2007

Why even bother worrying about it. Start out with the $10 package and have a plan ready for when traffic/processing seems to be a concern. You can move onward then.
Ken Brittain Send private email
Thursday, March 29, 2007

"Why even bother worrying about it. "

Hmmmm... maybe because if the $10 plan can't even handle the load on day-one then it would be a waste to even go there?????  ;)

The answer is definitely "it depends". Each hosting plan and each application is different. Figure out what the typical request for your app requires and then look at the legal mumbo jumbo for a specific hosting plan (they are all different). That's the only way to know for sure.
dood mcdoogle
Thursday, March 29, 2007

Is there any (free) tools that let me test the website capacity ?

Thanks
Zino Send private email
Thursday, March 29, 2007

I'd start by thoroughly checking out the hosting company. How long have they been around, do hey have great tech support, how many users do they cram on each server, do they backup your server etc. etc. Everything flows from there.
Neville Franks Send private email
Thursday, March 29, 2007

which hosting company are you using?  Many of the smaller ones will oversell servers and you will end of getting poor performance.
Justin Silverton Send private email
Thursday, March 29, 2007

Hosting company : EasyCGI.com
Technlogy : ASP.NET 2.0
Zino Send private email
Friday, March 30, 2007

Looking at the legal mumbo jumbo is a way to know for sure?  Wow. BZZT. Running the site up to capacity is the only way to know for sure.  The legal mumbo jumbo is just that. Mumbo jumbo.
bob
Saturday, March 31, 2007

"Is there any (free) tools that let me test the website capacity ?"

Microsoft has released a free web application stress tool, which will also give all kinds of other info about server capacity.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/archive/itsolutions/intranet/downloads/webstres.mspx?mfr=true
Justin Silverton Send private email
Sunday, April 01, 2007

Thanks
Zino Send private email
Sunday, April 01, 2007

IMO: the big web-hosters are just as likely to oversell. In fact, in my experience, the big hosters are more likely to oversell.

Furthermore, if you go with a more expensive host, one that doesn't oversell; that host might just decide to drop their prices through the floor to get more customers - so you get crappy service at twice the price.
walterbyrd Send private email
Monday, April 02, 2007

$10, not 10$.  The dollar sign goes in front of the number.
OneMist8k
Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Thanks for the correction.
Zino Send private email
Monday, April 09, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics