The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Anyone tried using Adobe Flex with ASP.NET?

I'm currently in the process of evaluating Adobe Flex 2.0 for the presentation layer of my new Web App. The application will be developed using ASP.NET 2.0. From my initial observations of the tool, I understand that Flex does not support ASP.NET out-of-the-box. Flex Data Services seems to be heavily geared towards Java(?).

The user base we are targeting is a diverse mix of Mac, Linux and Windows. So WPF sadly isn't an option at the moment.

Has anyone here tried using Adobe Flex with ASP.NET application? Is there any way I can elegantly integrate my ASP.NET application with Flex?

Your insight on this would be extremely helpful.
Ashwin Send private email
Wednesday, March 28, 2007

To the best of my knowlege, Adobe is positioning Flex as a companion to the ColdFusion Markup Language (which it also owns) and has absolutely no interest in porting it to a competitve technology such as ASP.NET or even PHP. For what it's worth, the ColdFusion server itself is built upon Java and exposes a lot of Java functions to CFML, hence the obvious bias in Flex Data Services.

There are some open source attempts to integrate Flex with ASP.NET but I would not base a business their efforts.

Right now, I suspect Atlas (from Microsoft) and the Google Web Toolkit are probably the closest you can get to Flex itself, and you don't have to worry about your customers having the player needed to run Flex applications.
TheDavid
Thursday, March 29, 2007

I'm using Flex for a very large app with a .net backend. I'm using web services and Fluorine(for remoting). It works great, and i had little trouble getting up to speed.

jason
Jason Hawryluk Send private email
Tuesday, April 03, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics