The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

*Specific* problems in .net?

We're considering using .net and I'm researching it.

I've seen lots of posts about problems with .net, such as the data-picker control not accepting a null value.  It seems that Microsoft isn't really "dogfooding" .net.

I suspect these problems will be fixed *eventually* (although the one above isn't fixed in 2005).

Any other specific problems you've run into in (or .net in general) ?
Mr. Analogy {ISV owner} Send private email
Monday, December 20, 2004
On the whole, .net seems to have far fewer major issues than, say, VBScript. The documentation has some serious holes in it. For instance, the MSDN docs for IDataReader leave out the methods that you use to retrieve data, although they're in fact part of the interface. The result is that it *seems* to be impossible to write database-agnostic code. although it isn't.

Regular expression support is still very poor. The .net framework provides the old VBScript regexp engine, bugs and all, wrapped in a new interface that's more convenient in some ways and less convenient in others. It's now possible to compute the replacement based on a backreference, but you need to write a callback to do it.

The .net framework, and in particular, exerts a strong influence on your application design. Make sure it's a good fit.
comp.lang.c refugee
I should add that my code is very straightforward. For the most part I query the database, suck the result into an array of HashTables, and work with that. I'm not familiar with the various data binding objects with which people seem to have so much trouble.
comp.lang.c refugee
I've worked with .NET (mostly ASP.NET and some desktop apps) for a few years and I can only recall one or two major snafu's that I've hit with the framework/languages.  The first one was a remoting bug and the second one was a problem where something in VB.NET wasn't supported in C# when we were porting.

Mind you, I never use any of that fancy drag and drop crap or all the new fangled DataTable, DataSet, DataWhatever that they have (use the DataReader).  However, I have done some pretty large implementations and some fairly complex things in .NET and haven't run into any showstopping problems.

I'm still using 1.0 framework and I'd say it's pretty solid for a first release (especially for MS).
Every few days I come in in the AM and my IIS machine has a message on it about /0 errors in an ASP.NET worker process. Sometimes I seem to have related user problems, sometimes not.

In WinForms the column labels sometimes get truncated on the right, happens on some computers and not others, can't isolate to a OS or .NET version, etc.

You said SPECIFIC, not BIG !
NetFreak Send private email
Monday, December 20, 2004 is a huge change from ADO. So it will be about as steep a curve as from DAO to ADO. Some changes are cumbersome, and some are "Holy Cow! you can do that in 2 lines of code now!" Your mileage may vary. Batteries not included. Your cow may be different from model depicted.
but does it contain traces of nuts?

(sorry. couldn't resist)
Les C Send private email
The tooltip system is annoying me right now.  It's easy enough to use, but you have to process the mousemove event for tree controls.
Joel Coehoorn
Wednesday, December 22, 2004
I personally find the typically exception-reporting information (when compared to Java) absolutely terrible.

You can (or at least I can) _never_ work out what went wrong from only looking at the exception message. No context-aware information is provided to you. You try and parse an int from a string. The exception _should_ tell you the value you tried to parse ... instead it just gives a default message of "could not parse".

This is _exceptionally_ annoying for me, but I'm managing to work around it at the moment and prefer .net to j2ee.

I would consider java to be a better language, however (than c#).
FYI, found this list of .net bugs:
"the MSDN docs for IDataReader leave out the methods that you use to retrieve data, although they're in fact part of the interface"

No, they're part of IDataRecord, from which IDataReader inherits.
Thom Lawrence Send private email
Thursday, December 23, 2004
I know you asked for problems, but I thought I'd butt in with the fact that I've not had any problems on the platform.
Steve Cooper Send private email
Friday, December 24, 2004
Been using for nearly 3 years now. The real annoyance for me is the crap set of controls that they give with the product... not well designed. Aftermarket controls are cheap though...

Bought Infragistics NetAdvantage Suite last month.... pretty good but whilst they give you the XP and other themes they DON'T supply a replacement for ALL the controls... so listviews, panels and group boxes (which are real common usage) have to be the native microsoft .net controls... which you can't change to theme them like the controls you just bought from Infragistics...

Of course if you're not a tight arse like me then you'd buy the version with the C# source in which case you could probably craft the missing ones relatively easily.... but for me it's a drag.
gwyn Send private email
Monday, December 27, 2004
We've been using the 1.0 and now 1.1 frameworks for two years now in a production environment. We haven't run into any serious flaws. I'm sure there are some but none have affected our projects. Some contractors that we have had in to supplement our staff have run into issues but it always seems that they occur when the contractor tries to do things they way they used to do them prior to managed code. (Trying to fight the framework instead of using it the way it was designed)

The productivity that we have gained has been outstanding. (32 ASP.Net production apps to 2 JSP/Java apps in the same time period, thats with 3 coders on each technology)
John S Send private email
Thursday, January 06, 2005

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics