The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

POS using traditional pre-printed receipt.??

hello,

I'm writing a custom POS (point of sales) system. But instead, the sales invoice and charge invoice were pre-numbered. Both invoice has different sequence of numbers ofcourse. The user will first verify that what is on the printer receipt's number must match with the computer. e.g. The user must first enter or verify the receipt no from the computer and the receipt.

I'm thinking for a better user interface. Is it better to ask the customer if it is a sales transaction (cash) or a charge transaction (on account) before processing the order? or process first the order, then later decide which type of invoice desired?

Anyway, I can support both kinds of scenario but what do you think would be the default or mostlikely instance?

I'm that very much yet used to POS system. But I like this project. It somewhat interesting application to write.

btw, the reason for the pre-printed receipt was. It must still support for manual sales. e.g. for some reason the computer will not be available. This is I think the best transition for them.

thanks.
j2e
Thursday, March 22, 2007

I personally wouldn't do it that way. It sounds like you are saying that they want to use the preprinted receipts "just in case" the computer isn't working. This is a highly unlikely scenario and you are creating a lot of work for yourself and for the user for something that will rarely happen. If the computer isn't available then they will write it up by hand on one of the preprinted forms. When the computer comes back online they will have to manually enter this data into the system. At that point you could prompt for the offline receipt number. Otherwise, there is no receipt number for an online transaction so the user isn't bothered with this at all.

Convince your customer that using preprinted forms is too costly and troublesome for the user. You can fall back on them when the computer is offline but only until the computer is back online again.
dood mcdoogle
Thursday, March 22, 2007

Regardless, why can you store the last invoice number and have them verify before they print?  Similar to what QB does to print checks.
FoxCoder Send private email
Thursday, March 22, 2007

If you can dictate the format of either the automatically generated receipt number or the manually generated receipt number, then you are fine. Ideally, you would dictate the format of both the automatic and manual numbers (Annnnnnn for automatic and Mnnnnnnn for manual). Since you are working with pre-printed forms, you can assume that one or the other (automatic or manual) numbers are the default format, and force the other into your special format via a manual process or in the receipt printing process.

The printing process for the computer printed forms could print a letter in front of the pre-printed receipt number, or you could require that when generating manual receipts, the user must prefix the pre-printed receipt number with a specific letter. In either case, you would be able to guarantee that manual receipts and computer generated receipts would always be distinct and unique.
Jeff Dutky Send private email
Thursday, March 22, 2007

Thank you.

btw, the use of the pre-printed no. is for tax purpose recognized by the government, an official receipt.
Is it ok? if I make use of my own generated no. unique for my system. In that way the user woudn't be bothered anymore to checking if the computer and "official receipt no. are the same.
I'll print my own unique no. on the receipt for referencing.
the receipt is still "official" because that is properly accounted. but it has 2 unique no. my computer sequencial no. and the existing pre-printed no.
What are your thoughts?
thanks.

Friday, March 23, 2007

Sorry I forgot to place my nick name. I'm j2e. I'm the OP.
thanks.
j2e
Friday, March 23, 2007

Yes, it is ok to use your own autogenerated transaction numbers. No one uses preprinted forms anymore. I personally wouldn't even print on a preprinted form. It is too much of a hassle. Use a standard receipt printer or laser/inkjet printer if you have to. The retailer will save a ton of money on the cost of preprinted forms alone.

How many stores does this retailer have?
dood mcdoogle
Friday, March 23, 2007

Thanks.
Only one store.
j2e
Sunday, March 25, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics