The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

javax.mail error, anyone?

I could have sworn this worked before, but now I'm pulling my hair out.

To get the "from" portion of an e-mail to look like this:
My name <myName@myDomain.com>

The parameter used to be constructed as follows:
My name &lt;myName@myDomain.com&gt;

But now it doesn't work.  I've Googled the error message all around, but can't seem to find an explanation.  Am I going mad?  Was this corrected in a .jar upgrade someplace that I missed?  Does anyone know?

My error message is:
javax.mail.SendFailedException: Sending failed;
  nested exception is:
  javax.mail.MessagingException: 555 5.5.4 Process Parameter unrecognized

I *know* this worked before.  Hmmpfff...
OneMist8k
Friday, March 16, 2007

I suppose a question about a particular bug isn't on the "design" of software John, but I've seen questions like this regarding SQL queries and the like posted here before.  It certainly isn't about the Joel on Software site, so I disagree that it belongs there in any case.

Or maybe you allow the technical questions on technologies on which you work, John, and all others get shoo'd away?
OneMist8k
Monday, March 19, 2007

"I suppose a question about a particular bug isn't on the "design" of software John, but I've seen questions like this regarding SQL queries and the like posted here before.  It certainly isn't about the Joel on Software site, so I disagree that it belongs there in any case."

I do try to keep the focus of this forum about design, but I'm not always consistent I admit. You're right it isn't about the Joel on Software site, but a lot of questions like yours get asked and answered over there.

"Or maybe you allow the technical questions on technologies on which you work, John, and all others get shoo'd away?"

Not at all. I work with Java in my day job. Anyway, I've undeleted it now and I hope you get the response you're after.
John Topley Send private email
Monday, March 19, 2007

Posting the code might help. Actual code is up there somewhere with "a picture is worth a 1,000 words" in my opinion.
Cymen
Monday, March 19, 2007

So which method are you passing the parameter to?

I don't remember any mail APIs insisting that you enclose the actual address in brackets. It's very possible the javax library does, but I typically only see brackets used when formatting the output, for display.

For example, I usually see...

"TheDavid TheLastName" TheDavid@example.com,
"TheFred TheOtherLastName" TheFred@example.com,
"One Mist8k" OneMist8k@example.com

...passed as parameters, and the API separates entries with commas, and assumes within each pair, the first argument is the name and the second argument, the email address.

When you get mail from me and look at the headers, only then it's converted to...

TheDavid TheLastName <TheDavid@example.com>

I could be totally wrong. The best place to look for answers is the Javadoc for the method you're actually passing the parameter to.
TheDavid
Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Thanks, David.  I'll try that.  What puzzles me is this used to work (or so I thought), then it stopped.  The only thing that changed that I could see was a new JVM, but I could be wrong.
OneMist8k
Wednesday, March 21, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics