The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Latest Web-Technologies to start with

I am a newbie and want to start learning web-technologies. I want to know the best tools for designing web-sites and other latest technologies.
R Send private email
Tuesday, March 13, 2007

If you want to design web sites, learn HTML and CSS. Keep it simple at first. Leave things like scripting (both client- and server-side) and Flash out of it until you have a good grasp on things.

Once you've got a basic understanding of HTML and CSS, learn accessibility, browser compatibility, and graphic design.
clcr
Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Once you've learned the basics, you need to make a decision about what type of work you'll pursue.

Since web technologies are so easy to adopt and discard, there are a lot of them in use and they tend to be divided along industry lines, as well as the type of people who do that work. In other words, its very rare you'll decide to use a technology strictly on its own merits and you'll quite often learn and use several concurrently.

If you truely want to become a "web designer" and only that, I think you should look at one of the Python or Ruby frameworks such as Django or Ruby on Rails respectively.

But take clcr's advice and start with HTML and CSS.
TheDavid
Tuesday, March 13, 2007

I agree, stick with the basics, html, css and javascript for start.

"Latest Web-Technologies to start with" is a bad title, if you ask me. You can build an airplain with legos and an instruction set, but it won't work if you don't know what an engine is...

After you get the basics you should learn what the HTTP protocol is, and what can you do with it, headers, cookies, sessions (this is language dependant), etc. Once you get the basic concepts you will understand that you can do (server-side) web programming even with ASM or C++. But almost nobody does that, at least not in a daily basis (except for some masochists in this forum like Clay :P )

Again, stick with the basics, and you will save yourself lots of headaches, trust me.
Masiosare Send private email
Tuesday, March 13, 2007

HTML, CS, a little Javascript and PHP for the serverside.
Plus a DB (MySql or Postgres).
asdfdsf
Tuesday, March 13, 2007

I want to second the recommendation to learn the HTTP protocol. Not that you need to memorize every error code or header, but it's very important to understand how browsers communicate with servers. This will give you a much better understanding of what can and can't be done on the web. Too many beginning web developers are ignorant of this.
JW
Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Web "sites", follow the recommendations above, once you can create a site in HTML and CSS, then move on to learning a site scripting language like PHP, ASP, ASP.NET, JSP to do simple applications.

To learn how to write a full web "application", consider learning ASP.NET, Java with an appropriate framework, or again, scripting like PHP (although I am unfamiliar with PHP and uncertain if it abstracts business and storage logic from presentation logic sufficiently).  Web application development tends to try to put expertise into layers, where you might have someone very skilled in HTML, CSS, and Javascript do the visuals, while someone else implements the business logic in a language such as C#, Java, or the like.
Dan Fleet Send private email
Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Read some overview about how it all works but do your actual coding with Ruby On Rails.
Steve
Sunday, March 18, 2007

It depends what you want to do:

Web designer
HTML, CSS, Photoshop, usability, eventually flash

Web developer
HTML, CSS, & PHP / Python & Zope / Ruby on Rails

Have fun!
Mike Pereira Send private email
Thursday, March 22, 2007

I would go with XHTML, CSS, PHP and MySQL. :)
Tim Patterson Send private email
Thursday, March 22, 2007

I have used Struts, PHP, plain HTML and Ruby on rails. Each has its strengths and weaknesses. I did it the way other poster here recommend - HTML first, then PHP, then J2EE, then RoR.

Ruby on Rails gets my vote as its faster, simpler and more elegant. I think RoR is the way forward in this space (longer term though - J2EE and ASP.NET still have a place).
Serge Send private email
Friday, April 06, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics