The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Does anybody still use code profiler?

I remember that in good old days of PC AT and Borland C++ I used Turbo Profiler frequently to optimize my code where needed. I still use profilers nowadays but less so. I also noticed that nobody else around me seems to be using this kind of tools anymore.

If anyone is still using profilers can you please post here what is your preferred choice for your development platform?

Thanks for reading this.
TN Send private email
Monday, February 26, 2007

Rational Quantify/Purify for VC++
Megabyte Maniac Send private email

We're in the process of upgrading from Visual Studio 6 to Visual Studio 2005, and Microsoft have removed the profiler from the Professional version.  You need to buy the insanely expensive Team Edition to get it.  I searched for alternatives, and found AQTime from http://www.automatedqa.com/products/aqtime/ - I haven't used it in anger yet, but after an hour's evaluation it looks very good.

In answer to whether anyone uses profilers any more, yes, we do, but I think we're in a minority.  When I discovered that VS2005 Pro no longer had a profiler I asked a question on Experts Exchange about alternatives, and had no decent answer.
Richie Hindle Send private email

I use dev partner for c++ with MSVC 6.
It has a profiler, code coverage and bounds checker.
EvilTeach Send private email

Our needs are probably different, but after using a performance analyzer box for a few years (not practical due to large internal caches in CPUs nowadays) and then various flavors of profiler (which seem to interfere with the working of a program a lot...they are, after all, just sampling the IP and building a histogram I suppose), I'm down to just doing the simple thing.  Writing a timing class that you can temporarily enable/salt around and see what's what. 

The nice thing about this is that you can use the CPUs performance counter and get extremely good precision on things like inner loops.
old.fart

As a side note, this doesn't solve the problem of coverage of course.
old.fart

I have used the Reg-Gate ANTS profiler for quite a while, and I love it. Of course, it is only for .net applications. http://www.red-gate.com/products/ants_profiler/index.htm
Gareth Hayter Send private email

I find Shark on OS X to be a pleasure to use.  It's part of the free CHUD development tools from Apple.  I've tried other profilers (e.g., VTune), but there are none that I like as well.
Boojum

I've been use Glowcode for quite some time and find it invaluable for locating hot spots. I don't use it very often though, typically during early stage development.
Neville Franks Send private email

Yep, Shark is brilliant. It's a shame nothing similar is available for Windows. VTune is a real pain to use and just doesn't seem to produce useful results...
Frederik Slijkerman
Thursday, March 01, 2007

Err... LT-PROF

http://www.lw-tech.com/
Jayakrishnan K
Saturday, March 03, 2007

"Err... LT-PROF"

I never buy anything from a vendor who has Google ads on their homepage.
Indignant
Saturday, March 03, 2007

I build mobile apps in java. The use of a code profiler is mandatory, assuming your writing more than a hobby application on one kind of handset.

The profiler supplied with the SDKs could use some work though.
Sick of crap Java ME handsets
Monday, March 05, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics