The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Any blog software for ASP/msaccess site?

Hi,
 I wanted to setup my own blog software on my site. I want to  run couple of personal blogs. My site is developed using Active Server Pages with support for MS-Access database.

Do you know of any easy to install blogging software for my requirements? I guess the blog scripts should also be in ASP.

Thanks a lot.
ThisIsMe
Saturday, February 24, 2007

Yes, some examples exist. A web search for asp access blog turns up several, none of which I have any experience with. Furthermore, you may be able to easily port a blog system built for SQL Server to Access. For all its faults, ADO does lead naive users to write relatively DBMS-agnostic code.

That said, why use Access? First of all, there's absolutely no need for your blog data to be stored in the same database as the rest of your site. Second, Access is a poor choice for web applications. It's a bit like using a nail file as a screwdriver: it works, but sooner or later something is going to break.

(Been there, done that, decided it wasn't worth the pain.)
clcr
Sunday, February 25, 2007

This is not something you want to do with MS Access.  Depending on the processor and memory of the server, you can only support 25-50  concurrent users.  While that is a log in terms of a blog, it is bad architecture.  Much better to go with MySql.

On top of that, ASP is outdated and slow.  You should upgrade to .Net and look at DasBlog.  It is an awesome blog engine build on .Net and is free.
Jeremy Send private email
Monday, February 26, 2007

If you want to set up your own blog, why not use a robust (but free) blog product like word-press or movable-type*. Though both these applications are written in PHP, i've had little trouble setting either one of them up (i'm a .net developer). Best of all you end up learning something new!

*I recommend movabletype as it is the most complete blogging system. Definitely abstracts code (php/perl) away from the user.
Pete
Monday, February 26, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics