The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

The way let your app not block by Windows Defender at startup!

Hello everyone! I have found a way that Windows Defender will not block my app in Vista at startup!

First, my app need the administrator account to work, MS' guide told me that I need make a system service that perform the core function while the shell(or UI) just run as standard user. But it's hard to make a system service for all the function for my program. I found a way that if you build a schedule task job, and the set the app runs when system logged on, Windows Defender will not block it any more even it is a administrator required program!

I think it's quit useful for everyone.
Tim
Saturday, February 24, 2007

Try signing your app. If I recall correctly, Windows Defender doesn't block signed apps.
Dick
Sunday, February 25, 2007

No No. You can have a try. Run MsConfig.exe and do some change, then it will be blocked next time.
Tim
Sunday, February 25, 2007

MSConfig is kind of old-school: the Vista way is to use the Programs control panel.

MSConfig will manage things started from the startup groups or a couple of places in the registry - I don't know offhand if there are additional places in Vista for startup items. I'm actually kind of surprised that MSConfig is still in Vista (I wrote the version for XP & 2003 and it looks like there are only a few changes for Vista, not as "pretty" as the rest of the OS).
Jim Martin Send private email
Thursday, March 01, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics