The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

GIS/GPS Development

Hello!

If you had to develop a GIS/GPS application, had no experience in that area but were considering to invest time and create a business to enter that market (Logistics, Fleet management, MIS) what route would you choose regarding the technology?

1) Develop everything from scratch?

2) Find some famous GIS/GPS components (I use .NET C#), and build up from there?

3) Become expert in some third party technology (example ESRI ArcGIS products) and customize them to provide your solutions?

4) Something else?

If anyone has experience with GIS/GPS applications, can you suggest .NET components for displaying maps and manipulating layers of information?

Thank you in advance,
Petros
Petros Amiridis Send private email
Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Just use ESRI components.
John

+1 for ESRI.  This is not the kind of thing you want to write from scratch unless you're an expert and can do better than the established players.
Jason Send private email

Have you decided where you'll be getting the data?  Navtech, Tiger, raster images?  Once you know that the choice of technology is quite simple.

ESRI is good, but it's rather heavy and may be overkill for your task.
Jeff Zanooda Send private email

Buy a whole pile of books, and learn what the hell I was talking about - and then when I knew enough to justify my decisions without asking random strangers on the internet I'ld start making some decisions.

It depends on the scope of what you're trying to accomplish.  I don't know what's out there in .NET, but I do recall this Delphi example http://tglobe.org/?q=node/5

It's much simpler and cheaper than high-end solutions, and integrates much more cleanly with your own apps.

As I say, I don't know if there is a .NET equivalent (or a .NET version on the way) but it does illustrate what's possible.
John Rusk
Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Thank you all for your suggestions.
Petros Amiridis Send private email
Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Depend on your target market. ESRI license costs add up quite quickly when you have lots of devices/users. If you only use a small amount of the functionality it's definitely an overkill.
Wills
Friday, February 23, 2007

Interesting.

Let me give you a little history:

I've been at my current job for 2 years and 1 month.  Previous to that I worked at a company that developed GIS/GPS applications for 3 1/2 years.  Although we didn't start out with a Fleet Management application, the last couple of years I was ther\e it was being developed.  This was also a company that had, when I first got there, developed a little bit of favorable press and had written consumer and custom GPS/GIS applications.  There was a bit of talent there and they had some established partnerships.

But, as you can see .. I'm not working there anymore.  Why?  The company went broke.

Are you sure you want to go down this road?
Ambitious endeavor
Friday, February 23, 2007

Petros, I developed a portable system for drawing maps. Please contact me if you're interested or see www.cartotype.com - an amateurish web site, true, but a lot of technical information is there.
Graham Asher Send private email
Monday, March 12, 2007

John Rusk Send private email
Thursday, March 15, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics