The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Java diagrams: JGraph, GEF, yEd?

I'm starting work on a new feature that will allow users to design their own business process models (of a very limited and specific type). The rest of the client is in Java, so I guess we'll continue along that path :)

Anybody have any experience with diagramming libraries? The good, the bad, the ugly? The title mentions a few a quick hits google came up with, but I'm open to any ideas. I've played around with writing something similar a number of years ago and I'm pretty sure I don't want to go down that path (especially not in the time frame we've got).

Thanks for any and all input.
Jim Sandoval
Tuesday, February 13, 2007

I would say Eclipse GEF is really the best one around (with many IBM products being based on it), but then you would have to use SWT or mix SWT and Swing.

I tried JGraph back in 2005, and didn't like it. The code was ugly, and reports for blocking bugs went unanswered for months. Can't say how things are today.

Never heard of yED.
Rafael Chaves
Tuesday, February 13, 2007

I was in similar position and after evaluating a lot of graphing frameworks, I choose JGo (http://www.nwoods.com/go/jgo.htm) and didn't regret it. It's a commercial product, but it's worth every penny and way better than its free counterparts.
Domagoj Klepac Send private email
Wednesday, February 28, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics