The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Designing UI's elegantly

OK - so I'm attempting to design a UI for my application in plain old Windows Forms. I haven't designed UI's before, so I'm a little lost. One way to do it is to dump a lot of code on the MainForm, while trying to follow the MVC pattern as much as possible. Dumping code on the MainForm has never really appealed, and does not seem extensible/flexible enough. I'm sure there must be other, better ways to do this.

I'd like to design my UI such that I put as much of the code into the data, as opposed to hardcoding the data into the code. I'm sure this is a relatively common issue, and I'd love to hear some thoughts/opinions from those more experienced than I.

Thank You!
Sarge Send private email
Tuesday, February 13, 2007

If you're new to Windows Forms, I'd suggest you first get a simple little app working, without regard to well-structured code, just to get your mind around it. Then I'd look at patterns like MVC and MVP and data-driven code. You might also look at the new stuff in .NET 3.0 if this is an option for you, since Windows Forms will be slowly on the way out.
Mike S Send private email

> Dumping code on the MainForm has never really appealed, and does not seem extensible/flexible enough.

One way is to make it a separate class that's a member of the form. For example, if the Form is a text editor, and the Form needs to remember which text is selected, then:

* Create a Selection class, to contain the state of the selection
* Declare an instance of the Selection class as a data member of the Form
* Form event handlers (e.g. Form_MouseDown) are implemented as thin wrappers which merely invoke corresponding methods of the Selection class.

By doing this:

* Form contains no methods except event handlers, and no logic except creation/destruction
* Auxilliary classes like the Selection class can be unit-tested independently of the Form class.
Christopher Wells Send private email

The main issue is that I'd like to make the UI extensible. I'd like a programmer to be able to create Add-ins for the UI - i.e. adding menus/toolbars etc. that expose some new functionality.

I've been looking around for models for doing this, and the only thing I've come across so far is SharpDevelop. They have a few interesting concepts such as the AddInTree & so on.

However, I worry that trying to amend SharpDevelop to my needs might be overkill. So what I'm doing right now is whittling down the SharpDevelop core to my needs.

I still am concerned that my lack of knowledge in UI design/architecture is resulting in sub-optimal design. Any thoughts?
Sarge Send private email

Have you considered doing your thing as a Control instead of as a Form? If you do it as a Control, then other programmers can:

* Add your Control to their own Form
* Extend and control your Control (if your control exposes a public and/or protected API).
Christopher Wells Send private email
Wednesday, February 14, 2007

The Control idea seems quite interesting. Thanks!
Sarge Send private email

The more I use custom controls, the more I like them.

I sure wish that the snaplines were available at runtime, though.
Robert Rossney Send private email

I like the custom control idea, and i'm currently playing with it. But what I'd ideally like to do is:

1. Provide the basic interface
2. Allow users to install add-ins that dynamically insert new toolbars/menus etc - i.e. allow them to configure the look,feel and functionality of the applications as much as possible.

Currently, what I'm doing is experimenting with the SharpDevelop architecture. Their entire application is built through a plug-in architecture (I imagine Eclipse is something similar as well). It's very interesting, esp. since i have no real experience in designing GUI's etc. It's an experimental approach, so if you might have any thoughts or comments, I would love to hear them.
Sarge Send private email
Thursday, February 15, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics