The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Database server - nightly tasks I should do

I look after a SQL Server that hosts our live web app databases. Every night I rebuild all the indexes and back up all the databases. This is done by a stored procedure that loops through all the databases, which is started by a SQL Server job.

Besides rebuilding the indexes and backing up, is there anything else I should be doing when I run these nightly tasks?
Craig HB Send private email
Tuesday, February 13, 2007

If you're using M$ $ql $erver, you should look at the 'database maintenance plans' in Enterprise Manager.  It could make your life easier.

Some things to learn about if you're just learning about database maintanance:
- backing up the db & transaction logs
- index rebuilds:  how often?
- Recovery Models (simple, full, bulk-logged
- Optimizations
- Integrity checks
Another Anonymous Coward
Tuesday, February 13, 2007

There used to be, and to some extent still is, an idea that Oracle indexes ought to be rebuilt frequently. It's pretty much debunked though. Are you certain that SQL Server really needs it? Have you actually measured the costs and benefits?
David Aldridge Send private email
Wednesday, February 14, 2007

David, re your rebuilding question, we have found that if we don't rebuild the indexes overnight, our performance is affected. I think this is b/c quite a lot of data is loaded into the site every night.

Also, overnight our web app isn't really used, so we can afford the 45 mins to rebuild all the indexes on the server.

Craig
Craig HB Send private email
Thursday, February 15, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics