The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Important! You need Code Signature for Windows Vista!?

Hello everyone, I have a big problem that my program will be blocked of Windows Vista's Windows Defender. The UAC setting is on and I found it so stange that both my program and Spyware Doctor need UAC confirmation to run, but why does not Spyware Doctor get blocked but only mine get blocked?

The registry entry is "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run", the same as Spyware Doctor. And I can see the obviously difference is Spyware Doctor get a signation, mine doesn't. But I made a simple program that is just a window, it can run at Windows Startup and it will not get blocked.

The difference between my program and Spyware Doctor is that Spyware Doctor has a code signature. So my question is that if I have a code signature, will Windows Defender not block my program at Windows Startup?
Tim
Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Have you considered checking if your Application needs Administrative privileges somewhere ?
Maybe that is the Problem with your Application.

I can remember having heard that any Application requiring Administrative Privileges can not be run during Windows Startup (I might have misunderstood that too)
Mike

Why are you duplicating your original thread?
http://discuss.joelonsoftware.com/default.asp?design.4.448616.14
Mark Pearce Send private email

So, if program was created in Win XP - it will not be run under Vista right away without a hassle? That is not good...
asmguru62 Send private email

"Why are you duplicating your original thread?"

Because it's another Vista FUD troll...
Trollfinder General

Listen fool, we've told you before. Make your program run under Windows XP as a limited user. I guaranted you that if you do that you will not have any problems with Vista. This is not a Vista problem. This is a problem with a fool who doesn't know how to program.

"So, if program was created in Win XP - it will not be run under Vista right away without a hassle? That is not good... "

No this is not true. A program that runs CORRECTLY under Win XP will run just fine under Vista. The OP's program does not run correctly under Win XP because he requires admin rights at runtime. This violates the Designed for Windows XP logo requirements and Microsoft's guidelines which they have finally cracked down on in Vista. And for good reason too...

I will continue to beat this drum... make your programs work as a limited user under XP. That is the first step and you should do it anyway. Anything less and you are a two-bit hack who doesn't know anything about security anyway.
dood mcdoogle

Sorry... I had a really bad conference call this morning and I'm in a really pissy mood!
dood mcdoogle

Under a limited user account where are you allowed to create and write files?
2 bit programmer

"Under a limited user account where are you allowed to create and write files? "

Usually under the shared folders or the user's specific folders. You can right click on a folder and check its permissions on the security tab if you have "simple file sharing" turned off. This is the best way to know for sure if a folder is available for writing.
dood mcdoogle

> Listen fool, we've told you before. Make your program run under Windows XP as a limited user. I guaranted you that if you do that you will not have any problems with Vista.

And what about signing it?
Christopher Wells Send private email

To someone who is impolite. My program is a Windows Tweak program, it will modify LOCAL_MACHINE/System/ key(For tweaking system service), so my program need administrator rights. Any suggestion?
Tim

Is there an API call available to determine their shared folder location?
2 bit programmer
Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Look at SHGetFolderPath() / SHGetSpecialFolderPath()
K Renaud
Monday, February 19, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics