The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Looking for information

Hi,
I want to understand how languages are created? What is involved like lexical analysis etc.Please give online resources,or book info
thks
jam
Thursday, February 08, 2007

Aho, Sethi, Ullman: "Compilers, Principles, Techniques and Tools" aka "The Dragon Book" is the the classical reference.

/Allan
Allan Wind Send private email
Thursday, February 08, 2007

I used Programming Language Pragmatics.  It is an excellent book.  My copy is worn from extensive use.  It covers the whole spectrum from language design to implementation and how they relate to each other.
Tom C
Friday, February 09, 2007

Hi Tom,yes I know about this book but not available in India.
jam

Make sure to check out Arc.

*sarcasm intended*
N

Amazon doesn't ship to India?
Kyralessa Send private email

Along with the canonical Aho, Sethi, Ulman, et. al. text there are:

"Compiler Design in C" by Holub

"Modern Compiler Implementation in C", "Modern Compiler Implementation in Java" and "Modern Compiler Implementation in ML" all by Appel

both of which I have read and recommend. The Holub book is much more readable than the Aho, et. al. text and covers much of the same material. The Appel books are newer than either the Holub or Aho, et. al. texts and cover other topics (a better discussion of optimization is what interested me).

There is also "A Small C Compiler" by Hendrix, which is the first book I read on compilers, but it doesn't really cover the theoretical aspects well enough to teach you anything. It's more a tour of the author's program code along with a few elementary exercises. Judging by the price of the used book (it's out of print) on Amazon, however, it must be VERY popular or VERY rare.

If you are interested in compiler design from a practical perspective either the Holub or Aho books are quite good, but if your interests are academic/theoretical it may be best to stick to the Aho, et. al. text.

There are lots of other books on compiler design, which you can easily find on Amazon, but I have not read them so I can't say if they're good or bad.
Jeffrey Dutky Send private email
Saturday, February 10, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics