The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Any .Net project with source code recomended?

I am looking for some .net project that demostrates the best practice for framework, design patterns and coding skills.
Adam Lee
Thursday, February 08, 2007

google for issuevision. it's microsoft's own example smart client app.
rbny
Friday, February 09, 2007

It's good to look at examples, but beware of assuming that there is one "best practise" that will tell you what to do in any situation. Ultimately, you need good design skills to choose when to apply any practise or pattern.
Mike S Send private email
Friday, February 09, 2007

Can i assume it's the best pratice if the example come from microsoft?
Tuesday, February 13, 2007

adam - i look at a lot of source code and run into the same problem. I will make one book recommendation, "ASP.NET 2.0 - Problem, Design, Solution" by Bellisamo. He uses the Provider model for everything. But, he explains what he is doing and why.
Patrick from an IBank Send private email
Tuesday, February 13, 2007

"Can i assume it's the best pratice if the example come from microsoft?"

No.  Different MS teams use different coding conventions, and many examples you find on the MS websites are simplified to show one particular point.

If you want to know about best practices for .NET programming you should get the book "Framework Design Guidelines" by Cwalina, Abrams et al. (Addison Wesley).  They explain the rationale behind the .NET Framework libraries in great detail, and much is applicable for your own code.
Chris Nahr Send private email
Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Enterprise Library is a good example of useful utility code, designed for extension.

It does go a little overboard on extensibility and configurability, so it might be a little hard to follow at first.

(Disclaimer: I am a dev on the Entlib team)
Chris Tavares Send private email
Wednesday, February 14, 2007

CSLA.NET by Rockford Lhotka:
http://www.lhotka.net/Area.aspx?id=3
Travis Send private email
Friday, February 16, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics