The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Berkeley DB with transactions

Hello guys I use berkeley db a lot using bsddb in python, but one thing has been irking me a lot from taking it to a lot of the apps that I m building.. Lack of transactions and locks in berkeley db free version.

I contacted Sleepycat and they want $100K for the one with transactions.. You guys know of any easy way to do transactions and lock support for bdb

thanks a lot for reading and replying
Mark Send private email
Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Have you looked at sqlite?
While not BDB format it is a no-install single file database. I think the newer versions do row locking.
It is very well supported from python.
Martin Send private email
Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Have you looked into PostreSQL? It supports transactions and Python.

http://www.postgresql.org/about/
Tim Patterson Send private email
Wednesday, February 07, 2007

While using Python, try to look on ZODB. http://wiki.zope.org/ZODB/FrontPage it is object (!) database written in Python.

The main problem I have encountered with it is a longer startup time with "full" db.
Matej Send private email
Saturday, February 10, 2007

The only reason I m not looking at Postgres is BDB is faster and Postgres is a scalability issue!
Mark Send private email
Tuesday, February 13, 2007

How is BDB not a scalability issue?

If you are doing embedded stuff, maybe SQLite is what you are after?  If you are doing multi-client network stuff, Postgres is the answer.  Version 7 might not have scaled but 8 does full replication, standards compliant SQL, obeys the I in ACID, and has one hell of a sweet query optimizer.
Cory R. King
Wednesday, February 14, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics